Question Understanding the NJ Shore Dive Scene

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone have a working website for the Independence II? The link on their Facebook page, deepexpeditions.com, doesn't work.

Does anyone have a working website for the Independence II? The link on their Facebook page, deepexpeditions.com, doesn't work.
I don't think you book with Indy, you would book with Tim@Gotham Divers (among others).

Edit: here is the list taken from the Indy FB page

1684956426122.png

This is nuts because I grew up in Long Branch but didn’t learn to dive until after I left.
I’ll never make it back now. Everyone I know has left. But it’s interesting to see what I missed!

I don't think you book with Indy, you would book with Tim@Gotham Divers (among others).

I understand about the booking. I was curious about what the Indy II policies are:
-Is pony required if not diving double, and if so, is there a minimum size?
-Do you have to have a jon line?
-Do you have to have a buddy ahead of time or will they buddy up singles?
-Do you have to have a lift bag in addition to DSMB or is just DSMB enough?

Other boats (like the Gypsy Blood and Dina Dee) have these policies posted on their website. Apologies if it's somewhere on the Indy II Facebook page, but I couldn't find it.

I understand about the booking. I was curious about what the Indy II policies are:
-Is pony required if not diving double, and if so, is there a minimum size?
-Do you have to have a jon line?
-Do you have to have a buddy ahead of time or will they buddy up singles?
-Do you have to have a lift bag in addition to DSMB or is just DSMB enough?

Other boats (like the Gypsy Blood and Dina Dee) have these policies posted on their website. Apologies if it's somewhere on the Indy II Facebook page, but I couldn't find it.
With somewhat direct knowledge about the Indy policies, the captain cares far less about you meeting minimum equipment requirements than he does that you are going to conduct a safe and responsible dive. The boat is not a money making business for him, and (imo for the better) he is very invested in anyone on the boat having a positive (safe) experience. Other ops you are very much along for the ride, for better or worse.
You should be carrying redundant air that matches your depth (generally 19cf or greater, but usually a 30 or 40 or, more usually, doubles). most will carry a jon line but not use it unless offshore/in current. You do not have to have a buddy ahead of time nor will they confirm or assign one. If you would like one there is generally one that can be found or, if crew numbers allow, someone that can take a tour with you. Again, Dan carries extra crew for a reason.
DSMB vs. liftbag is very much a local practice and one that will be addressed in the briefing on both the gypsy and indy. Liftbags are for artifacts or lost anchorlines, DSMBs are for emergencies and will result in a crew member responding immediately and being angry if used incorrectly. So, you should carry both and know and use accordingly.
Feel free to pm if you'd like more info. If you are new to local or NJ diving I am also very willing to help out with an orientation. The boats LOVE new dives joining, but also want to make sure they are diving safely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom