Best Shore Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arubabob1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have been to GC 9 times years ago as a snorkeler. Went 5 years ago as a diver. Going back Jan-Feb for a month. Would really like to know the best shore dives. We stay South of the airport and about 15 min from 7 mile Beach. My buddy and I are divers and the girls snorkel. I am over 1.000 dives and he is about 25 dives. I have done most of my dives in the ABC Islands. Also dove Maldives, Cozumel, Roatan, and GC. So I am looking for the BEST!! We will also dive with Dive Tech and do the North wall. Maybe give me places where we can dive, the girls can snorkel and then we can grab lunch? also if you have good eating spots, that would be awesome. Thanks. Aruba Bob

give me places where we can dive, the girls can snorkel and then we can grab lunch

The obvious answer is Macabuca Bar & Grill in West Bay (close to the Turtle Farm) not too far from 7 mile beach. It covers everything you mentioned. Popular spot, lots to see.

DiveTech (great op) will guide you to Lighthouse Point (also in West Bay) since you are diving with them. Also a popular spot.

Not sure if it will be open, but Cobalt Coast Resort has a shore dive. If the "new" resort has a dive op onsite, you could rent a tank from there. One can snorkel, but wouldn't say it's great for that. The time of year you're going, you would have to pick a good day as the water is not always calm on that side of island.

There are several spots to dive along the north shore on the East End. Years ago, I explored some possible spots there only by snorkeling. On your own, you would have to rent tanks and research a little more to find places to pull off the road to get to the shore.

Here's a link to a partial list of shore dives. These have onsite dive shops. You can find many other shore dives, but again, you may have to supply tanks.

Turtle Reef / Macabuca Bar & Grill, Easy to arrange both day and night dives! Northwest Pt.
Subject to Nor westers, Windguru.com and their webcam are your friends. I spend a lot of time here during the winter months underwater.

DiveTech, Vivo Restaurant, Easy for both day and night dives! Easy Northwall access. Northwest Pt
Also subject to Nor westers that time of the year. Ck with Windguru and call shop directly for conditions!

Divetech is also now at Cobalt Coast further up the North Coast. Getting there for shore diving that time of year iffy. Great restaurant on site Nova. Seas need to be almost flat ! Before warned. It is a long hike out to the main wall from the dock at this site. Much better to look for macro life in the shallows!

Eden Rock. Downtown. Get there early to avoid cruise ship hordes. or later in day.. 3 pm. Or go on a day when there are none in port.:) They do offer a small bar/ restaurant on site as well. Despite the noise and rub ble it's surprising the sea life there, if you go slow and look.

Don Fosters, a bit further south. Great shore dive, but no food on site. But do check with Sergio about going on one of his Black water dives he offers!!

Sunset House, Nice shore dive, restaurant on site, East Indian food available.Great place for dusk dive viewing of hamlet spawning behavior Night dive scheduling can be problematic unless staying at resort.

Spotts Beach.. If seas are bad north, head to Spotts to snorkel with the green sea turtles that come inside the barrier reef to feed there! No food, bring a picnic lunch, bathroom facilities.

Cindy

Just came back from GC two weeks ago. We dived all of the sites mentioned. I found Cobalt coast to be “more fishy” than the others. Maybe because it is not dived much? Saw big schools of durgeon and blue chromis. Dive Tech rents DPV’s there which is great fun. It is true at Eden rock you can be surprised what you see there. I’ve had better dives there than some boat dives. I found Don Fosters to be underwhelming on the day we were there.

Thanks for all the great Info. If anyone else has other advice, I would love to hear it. Aruba Bob

We are staying at a Air B&B at Patricks Island area
Bob,
Also understand depending on time of day, from where you are staying, on Patricks island, plan on it taking anywhere from 30-45-60 minutes to get up to the NWPT area of the island . !! Traffic!!!!

I totally understand. I was there 5 years ago and stayed in Bowden Town so I know how things can get jammed up!!

if one of your party only has 25 dives I would not advise diving the north independently apart from cobalt Coast which is supported. If you are out on your own someplace like Babylon, and the sea suddenly picks up, your are in trouble. The best supported shore dive on GC, IMO is Turtle Reef/Macabuca.

Further, they have showers, dip tanks and a good bar and restaurant. Nice place to take a 2 tanker, dry off and then watch the sun go down over a casual dinner. If you are into fancier meals, The Cracked Conch is right there as well.

Sunset House has a very similar set up but the diving and the food aren't quite as good.

Well his 25 dives was with me on Aruba and the current was kicking butt so he is a well seasoned diver for only 25 dives. But we will probably be diving with Dive tech when we go up North.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom