Best Shore Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

25 dives is still only 25 dives. Only so much "seasoning" possible.
DiveTech runs a very good op. You will have a great experience with them, North or West.

Turtle Reef / Macabuca Bar & Grill, Easy to arrange both day and night dives! Northwest Pt.
Subject to Nor westers, Windguru.com and their webcam are your friends. I spend a lot of time here during the winter months underwater.

DiveTech, Vivo Restaurant, Easy for both day and night dives! Easy Northwall access. Northwest Pt
Also subject to Nor westers that time of the year. Ck with Windguru and call shop directly for conditions!

Divetech is also now at Cobalt Coast further up the North Coast. Getting there for shore diving that time of year iffy. Great restaurant on site Nova. Seas need to be almost flat ! Before warned. It is a long hike out to the main wall from the dock at this site. Much better to look for macro life in the shallows!

Eden Rock. Downtown. Get there early to avoid cruise ship hordes. or later in day.. 3 pm. Or go on a day when there are none in port.:) They do offer a small bar/ restaurant on site as well. Despite the noise and rub ble it's surprising the sea life there, if you go slow and look.

Don Fosters, a bit further south. Great shore dive, but no food on site. But do check with Sergio about going on one of his Black water dives he offers!!

Sunset House, Nice shore dive, restaurant on site, East Indian food available.Great place for dusk dive viewing of hamlet spawning behavior Night dive scheduling can be problematic unless staying at resort.

Spotts Beach.. If seas are bad north, head to Spotts to snorkel with the green sea turtles that come inside the barrier reef to feed there! No food, bring a picnic lunch, bathroom facilities.

Cindy
This is an excellent list for Grand Cayman shore diving! Definitely check out the blackwater dives with Sergio.

Just chiming in to add that In-Depth Watersports has taken over at Macabuca/Turtle Reef and have boat and shore diving options. They can also run their boat to the North Wall, weather depending.

Diver's Supply in SMB rents tanks if you want to dive somewhere without an on-site diver operator (like Spott's Beach). My understanding is they do limit tanks to one per person but it's a great option to see some different places.

Happy bubbles!
Divetech

Has anyone dove at Spott Beach or close to that area? I hear there are turtles around so I am sure there is sea grass. But didnt know if we could swim out there and dive? Thanks

Has anyone dove at Spott Beach or close to that area? I hear there are turtles around so I am sure there is sea grass. But didnt know if we could swim out there and dive? Thanks
I have been there a few times to snorkel. It's not diveable as it's way too shallow, but it's a really nice snorkel when there are no currents. The barrier reef protects from the majority of the wave action.

By Sea Harvest, do you mean the restaurant at Sunset House, or is this a different spot?

No, thats the spot I am talking about, How is the diving there? Thanks

Thanks for all the valuable input here.

I'm about to potentially relocate to the Cayman Islands and the availability / accessibility of shore diving is a big factor in my decision.

I will have my own tanks (backmounted AL80s) and deco stages (if necessary for the dive - AL40s). I'll also be bringing my own DPV (a proper one - SUEX).

Are there any worthwhile dive sites where I would be able to scooter out from shore and hit some decent deep reefs / walls? I used to live in Bermuda and was able to get to some really nice sights not far from shore with the benefit of a scooter.

Thanks!

I have been there a few times to snorkel. It's not diveable as it's way too shallow, but it's a really nice snorkel when there are no currents. The barrier reef protects from the majority of the wave action.
Agreed - but folks should definitely check first as the strongest currents I've experienced in Grand Cayman were at Spotts Beach.

Thanks for all the valuable input here.

I'm about to potentially relocate to the Cayman Islands and the availability / accessibility of shore diving is a big factor in my decision.

I will have my own tanks (backmounted AL80s) and deco stages (if necessary for the dive - AL40s). I'll also be bringing my own DPV (a proper one - SUEX).

Are there any worthwhile dive sites where I would be able to scooter out from shore and hit some decent deep reefs / walls? I used to live in Bermuda and was able to get to some really nice sights not far from shore with the benefit of a scooter.

Thanks!
Locals get discounted rates with many ops, so check that out too as boat diving will get you to more sites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom