Question Understanding the NJ Shore Dive Scene

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

attack33

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Greetings from Middle TN! I am looking for a solid tech charter/LDS around Point Pleasant, NJ that will be my home away from home. My wife's family is pretty much entirely on the Jersey Shore, not far from Point Pleasant, but we are based here (for now) in TN. We travel back and forth quite often and I badly want to get some dives in when we are there. I am mainly on CCR, but would probably start on OC until I get the lay of the land with a few charters. I do not know anyone affiliated with diving in the area and my information is limited to what I can find online (without social media), which is mostly a bunch of dead links. I did find the Gypsy Blood, which seems promising, but they seem to sell out fast and are never running when I am in town (and for the foreseeable future). I also found mentions of the Independence II (their website is down or expired). I would like to skip the agony of walking into a shop asking to rent doubles, purchase sorb, requesting o2, or god forbid ask for helium mix, and everyone balking at me like I am from outer space, not being able to accommodate me, or seeing me as a gigantic walking liability. It happens so often here in TN that I have given up supporting any LDS (near me), built my own fill station in the garage, and just use shops in Cave Country while I am there. If a shop that services the more tech crowd doesn't exist around the shore that is totally ok. I can roll with it. I will proudly wear my single tank filled full of air and stay within NDL because anything beats not diving! I will happily take what I can get. If you are around there and have any insight, please let me know. If you are uncomfortable sharing info publicly, I understand, feel free to DM. Thanks!

You’re on the right track, Gypsy Blood and the Independence 2 are the biggest charter operators. Both run rec and tech trips. Spots went fast this year but you can still find openings. You also have the Ol Salty in Belmar and the Dina Dee in Barnegat. Idk where to direct you for CCR support but there is a huge cohort of rebreather divers on the boats, they have to be getting fills and sorb somewhere. Check the Gotham Divers website for trips on the Indy.

Greetings from Middle TN! I am looking for a solid tech charter/LDS around Point Pleasant, NJ that will be my home away from home. My wife's family is pretty much entirely on the Jersey Shore, not far from Point Pleasant, but we are based here (for now) in TN. We travel back and forth quite often and I badly want to get some dives in when we are there. I am mainly on CCR, but would probably start on OC until I get the lay of the land with a few charters. I do not know anyone affiliated with diving in the area and my information is limited to what I can find online (without social media), which is mostly a bunch of dead links. I did find the Gypsy Blood, which seems promising, but they seem to sell out fast and are never running when I am in town (and for the foreseeable future). I also found mentions of the Independence II (their website is down or expired). I would like to skip the agony of walking into a shop asking to rent doubles, purchase sorb, requesting o2, or god forbid ask for helium mix, and everyone balking at me like I am from outer space, not being able to accommodate me, or seeing me as a gigantic walking liability. It happens so often here in TN that I have given up supporting any LDS (near me), built my own fill station in the garage, and just use shops in Cave Country while I am there. If a shop that services the more tech crowd doesn't exist around the shore that is totally ok. I can roll with it. I will proudly wear my single tank filled full of air and stay within NDL because anything beats not diving! I will happily take what I can get. If you are around there and have any insight, please let me know. If you are uncomfortable sharing info publicly, I understand, feel free to DM. Thanks!

Calling @doctormike for help here.

You’re on the right track, Gypsy Blood and the Independence 2 are the biggest charter operators. Both run rec and tech trips. Spots went fast this year but you can still find openings. You also have the Ol Salty in Belmar and the Dina Dee in Barnegat. Idk where to direct you for CCR support but there is a huge cohort of rebreather divers on the boats, they have to be getting fills and sorb somewhere. Check the Gotham Divers website for trips on the Indy
Thanks for the confirmation and info!

Hey... welcome to the best diving in the world!

In Point Pleasant, the two dive boats are the Gypsy Blood and the Indy II. Both awesome boats with great captains and crew. Frequent tech trips. Feel free to DM me if you want to talk more specifically, I can give you a call.

Ol Salty is great as well - they are in Belmar (about 20-30 minutes north of Point Pleasant. They do tech trips, but do a lot of fishing trips as well, so they aren't always running dive trips every weekend in the season. Dina Dee has a great reputation, I just don't know them as well, they are further from where I am..

AND, there is AMAZING shore diving in Point Pleasant as well.

Hey... welcome to the best diving in the world!

In Point Pleasant, the two dive boats are the Gypsy Blood and the Indy II. Both awesome boats with great captains and crew. Frequent tech trips. Feel free to DM me if you want to talk more specifically, I can give you a call.

Ol Salty is great as well - they are in Belmar (about 20-30 minutes north of Point Pleasant. They do tech trips, but do a lot of fishing trips as well, so they aren't always running dive trips every weekend in the season. Dina Dee has a great reputation, I just don't know them as well, they are further from where I am..

AND, there is AMAZING shore diving in Point Pleasant as well.
Thanks for the info! I think have enough intelligence about the area now to make a solid plan. I am going to call around and see if I can get in on something. Looking forward to NJ diving!

Is anyone familiar with Atlantic Divers out of Cape May? Doesn't seem like they have their own boat, but charter other's. Are they just a dive shop that organize trips?

Dina Dee has a great reputation, I just don't know them as well, they are further from where I am..
Captain Gary is great. He is a diver and is just as passionate about it as anyone. His trips are more docile as in above ~ 100', but some of the wrecks he gets to (from where he is) are pretty great.

It's a 6 top (so smaller then the others), but might have 10 divers on it depending on how many crew. He always has spots open up here and there. Diving with him just feels like diving from a buddies boat.

@attack33 I was just on the Indy with @Andy in Gap. Kinda scary, they'll let anyone get on a dive boat:)

The majority of charters on the Independence are run through Gotham Divers. (2023 CHARTER SCHEDULE | Gotham Divers) and are geared a bit more towards the "tech" stuff. They'll usually want you to start on a few shallower trips or at least provide some references. Great group divers that definitely have their stuff together. They can also support mix/rebreather fills and sorb in North Jersey, and can often arrange delivery to the boat.
A little away from the shore, but South Jersey Scuba in Marlton is also a great resource that can do fills and sorb, and they run regular charters on the Gypsy Blood, with a few weekday trips on the Indy. Feel free to DM if you'd like any other info.

The majority of charters on the Independence are run through Gotham Divers. (2023 CHARTER SCHEDULE | Gotham Divers) and are geared a bit more towards the "tech" stuff. They'll usually want you to start on a few shallower trips or at least provide some references. Great group divers that definitely have their stuff together. They can also support mix/rebreather fills and sorb in North Jersey, and can often arrange delivery to the boat.
A little away from the shore, but South Jersey Scuba in Marlton is also a great resource that can do fills and sorb, and they run regular charters on the Gypsy Blood, with a few weekday trips on the Indy. Feel free to DM if you'd like any other info.
I actually reached out to Gotham and got on one of their more shallow charters in June to start, so it seems I am headed in the right direction! I will check out South Jersey Scuba as well. Thanks for the info!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom