OC1 & OCi integrated air issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AI - Good to have but not essential.

SPG - Good to have and it is essential.

No one here is debating about the issue of AI vs SPG.

The OP merely stated he/she has issues with the AI while the rest just stated and shared our user experience. Do I like my AI? Yes: It is pretty cool and neat. Will I ever dive w/o my brass SPG? No: Because double redundacy ensures safety.

Let`s not turn this thread into another why one is better than the other thread for there are few gazillion threads on SB about that already. Let`s just stick to the OP.

Cheers.

Actually, I think that many of the responses (mine included) could be helpful in answering the OP's original problem - that he was having WAI dropouts on two different computers by the same manufacturers. Yes, it is true that we didn't have exactly his situation in terms of gear, but knowing that a number of WAI units are having dropouts that might suggest that the problem is bigger than just Oceanic.

And my other point was that posts along the lines of "I never have WAI dropouts" are not always helpful for the statistical reasons that I mentioned.

It's a social media discussion, not a deposition.

Actually, I think that many of the responses (mine included) could be helpful in answering the OP's original problem - that he was having WAI dropouts on two different computers by the same manufacturers. Yes, it is true that we didn't have exactly his situation in terms of gear, but knowing that a number of WAI units are having dropouts that might suggest that the problem is bigger than just Oceanic.

And my other point was that posts along the lines of "I never have WAI dropouts" are not always helpful for the statistical reasons that I mentioned.

It's a social media discussion, not a deposition.

Yes: You are right. This is a forum and not a deposition. With all due respect Doc, I respect your posts on this forum. But let us stick to the question asked.

The OP asked for user experience with AI. Not AI vs. SPG or whether he/she should dive with or without SPG because he/she uses AI.

The OP asked: "Has anyone here had this same issue? If so, can you please advise how you fixed it?"

I won't speak for other posters on this thread because I can't. But my points in answering the questions asked were:

1) "Has anyone here had this same issue?"

As of now, given the limited time that I have my OCi since last August, I've yet to encounter the issues mentioned by OP (knock on wood). Maybe the Goddess of AI is smiling on me, and I hope she continues to do so. But I am sure that sooner or later, I will probably encounter problems with AI. But none as of now with my OCi. I am just speaking purely from my own experience, just like the OP asked.

2) "If so, can you please advise how you fixed it?"

I provided my configuration and thought maybe this can be of value to the OP if he/she decides to try and resolve issue.

Again, the OP is asking for the what others' experiences are and how did they fix it if they've had the drop out issue, and not looking for a chi square number or regression coefficient. And if ppl have never experienced WAI dropout, then consider them lucky outliers - but fact is a fact.

Anyway, sorry for hijacking this thread. I am done reading/posting on this thread. There is more value-add that I can provide. Happy diving! :D

The OCI is a fine computer and a very attractive,though thick watch.'Have had no difficulty with losing signal from the transmitter. Although the compass should be re-calibrated every time you use it in a new area. Mine has the yellow trim!

The OCi manual has pictures and directions on page 29 of which way the tank transmitter needs to be pointing to get a good signal. Basically the transmitter shouldn't have the end pointing toward the computer on your wrist (either end). The side of the transmitter should be toward your wrist.

I've had 265 dives with my OC1 over 2 and a half years, without one dropout. I wear it on my left wrist, the transmitter is horizontal, on the right side of the 1st stage (TDX-5), pointed about 2:30 o'clock, if 12 o'clock is straight toward the back of my head. I think the orientation is pretty good, and I suspect the titanium reg has less effect on the signal than a brass reg would. Still the original battery, still a nice unit for my recreational diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom