Ocean Men: Extreme Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RockPile, I saw where Ocean Men had an anticipated DVD release date of December 2005. Maybe it's just a bit behind schedule?
Anyway, I'm glad you got to see it. :devious:

Over the weekend the Discovery channel has been featuring Tanya Streeter (what a babe!), chasing around various critter freedivers (seals, penguins, sea lions etc.).
Great footage! Gotta watch it!

You know what, I actually caught most of that last night (what a week for free diving shows), though I was also caught up in the Puerto Rico/Dominican Republic baseball game. Talk about beautiful shots (and the footage of the wildlife was nice too)! You're right she is something else...

JB

Hey Rockpile,
I was flipping through my On Demand out here in SoCal and saw Ocean Men on the HD section. I ordered it and while I wasn't able to record it via the DVR, I was able to record it on DVD with my burner. That might be an option for you, until they ever put it out. BTW, definately sparked my interest in free diving more so than the Big Blue. Might have to take one of those classes I've heard about out here.

Mark

Mark,

Thanks. I actually recorded it onto a VHS (taped over my roommate’s sacred copy of Club Dread). I was pretty excited just to see it and if I ever feel compelled to watch it again I'll use the tape. In the meantime I'll just hold my breath for the DVD.

Let me know how the class is if you take it. I really haven’t done much. My first scuba instructor let me free dive with him to 15 meters after I showed him I could hold my breath for 2 and half minutes dry. It was all fun and games until I had to head back up. I’m not sure I’ll do much serious free diving but I can’t help but be in awe of those who do it well.

Even if I don’t really “test” my limits I thoroughly enjoy talking shop about it and reading up on the big names.

Seriously though. If you take the class post up your thoughts about it. I've never heard much about those programs.

JB

I saw Ocean Men this weekend. Loved it!
But I am trying to figure out one thing.
While they were talking about "constant weight freediving", they had some footage of one of them guys laying horizontal on the bottom hanging onto a rock, but his body wasn't floating up, and he wasn't wearing any weights.

Now when I freedive, if I don't use weights and my lungs are full, I float like a cork at shallow depths. Being an inlander, I don't get much freediving deeper than twenty feet. I'm wondering how deep I will have to go to become neutral with my lungs full and no weight belt. The guy on the vid looked to be about thirty or forty feet deep.

fishoutawater:
I saw Ocean Men this weekend. Loved it!
But I am trying to figure out one thing.
While they were talking about "constant weight freediving", they had some footage of one of them guys laying horizontal on the bottom hanging onto a rock, but his body wasn't floating up, and he wasn't wearing any weights.

Now when I freedive, if I don't use weights and my lungs are full, I float like a cork at shallow depths. Being an inlander, I don't get much freediving deeper than twenty feet. I'm wondering how deep I will have to go to become neutral with my lungs full and no weight belt. The guy on the vid looked to be about thirty or forty feet deep.

Dude, did you think it was awfully short too?

Anyway, the real freedivers I know are cut from stone. Not a scrap of fat on them and they drop like a lead weight even with a their lungs full.

I don't have that problem...

Yeah, it was pretty short. My only consolation for paying the price is the F/A-18 footage after it. I build those, so it was semi enjoyable.
But it sucks to build fighter jets for a living and never EVER get to fly in one.

Yeah, I kinda figured it's that damned extra layer of insulation keeping me floating.
Working on that now.

While at DEMA in 2003, I had a chance to chat with Bob Talbot, the director of OceanMen. Very interesting to talk about what it was like to work with both Umberto and Pipin. I myself missed watching Tanya's special on Animal Planet (And I was thoroughly pissed). Tanya is a great ambassador for the sport of freediving and environmental concerns related to the ocean.

If anyone has a copy of OceanMen they can burn, please PM me with the specifics...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom