Ocean Point Suites VS Marina Del Mar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSPDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok it has been a while since my last post. I need help. Annual trip to Key Largo we have been staying in the 3 bedroom suite at Marina Del Mar for the past 3 years. WE have a great rate. This year I have been looking into the Ocean Point Suites. Has anyone stayed at both and can you compare? If not can you describe what the two bedroom suites are like or the resort in general, pertaining to Ocean Point. Any help is appreciated.

Mspdiver

Also we have never been to Carysfort reef. Is it worth it?

I've stayed at Ocean Pointe for the past 12 years and have no complaints. I like it because I'm close to Conch Republic Divers, it's relatively quiet and off the main road. The thing to remember is most of the units are owned by people, as opposed to some resorts where all the rooms are furnished alike, so the furnishings can very from new to not so new. But all the units I've stayed in over the years were nice. 2 bdr suites have two full bathrooms which is nice if you are with kids or another couple. Having a large washer and dryer in your unit is also very nice. The resort kind of has the feel of a gated community. Private beach is small but the pool is nice (we just go over to Harrison Park). Has lighted tennis courts, rental kayaks, and grills are available. A bit pricey if you are bringing your own boat and the marina is a bit small. I've toyed with the idea of other places but I always return to Ocean Pointe.

How is Marina Del Mar?

I've also stayed at Ocean Point once and had an enjoyable time. The unit I stayed in was up-to-date and very clean and comfortable with a fully equipped kitchen.

I might have stayed a different time of year than Sharkpoop, but I found the pool(s) to be over run with young kids. That's OK if you're bringing little kids since they'll make friends instantly: but if it is just you and your spouse, might not be the greatest. The small beach was not crowded at all and that's where we spent our down time.

I would not hesitate to go back though on VRBO I found a unit in Ocean Reef Club which is a very nice gated community: really a resort, but is off the beaten path at the very north end of Key Largo. Not sure which I'll stay at on my next visit. Ocean Pointe is close to Conch Republic like Sharkpoop said.

Very happy with Ocean Point Suites. Always clean with lots of kitchen equipment.

The only problem I had which was actually a Florida Keys wide issue was the price I was quoted during a part of the spring break season (1st week april) was double what I paid in January of the same year. I don't like how they pump up the prices so high, however, supply and demand drive that and I understand that.

Marina Del Mar nice, but over priced for what you get. Even at the discounted rate I am getting. With 5 guys though on an all out dive vacation the three bedrooms and large balcony are nice. All you want towels and the pools are nice. Parking can stink sometimes. We were nervous that 5 guys would not feel comfortably. Also, the beach did not look that great. We were also concerned as to which unit we may or may not get.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom