Oceanic alpha 8 CDX5 vs. Scubapro MK2/R190

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

21isfun

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm trying to stay in the $150 range for regs, and scubatoys has 2 of these regs in that range.

Oceanic Alpha 8 CDX5 - good: environmentally sealed good reviews bad:short warranty?

ScubaPro MK2/R190- good:great reviews, workhorse bad:eek:verseas service issues?

Mares Rebel R2- good:LDS can service, cheap service bad:eek:k reviews

The oceanic is a diaphragm, and the other two are piston. I only dive warm water, and prob less than 80 feet most of the time- in addition the gear will only be used prob 2x/year-so pretty lightly. I don't know which system would be best for that, but the diaphragm seems nice to have, but the warranty is shorter. I'm not worried about the recent recall as Im sure they have been retrofitted.

I'm sticking to my budget, so I think the Oceanic is prob the most bang for my buck, and I like that I can get it from Scubatoys (unlike the Scubapro).

So any opinions about these three would be great!

I dont know Mares well, but for the other two you can pretty much flip a coin and pick. They will both handle the type of diving you are talking about with ease, and will be reliable. Personally I like the Oceanic, because I am a fan of sealed regs, even in warm water, it keeps the salt out of the first stage that can sometimes be lingering, even with a rinse in fresh water.

As for the 2 years thing, where did you find that information? The last time I bought a new Oceanic, I was told it was lifetime replacement parts, similar to everyone else. Not to mention Oceanic is known as having some of the best support in the dive industry and will go the extra mile to make sure customers are happy.

Jim

ScubaPro MK2/R190- good:great reviews, workhorse bad:eek:verseas service issues?

ScubaPro is one of the leading companies world wide. You will have no issues servicing the MK2/R190 combo anywhere. I started with the MK2 and its a great system, but like any unbalanced reg will have its limitations. I personally have not tried the other two, but I would make sure whatever system you choose, you can get it serviced. That is a top priority in my book.

Oceanic are parts for life, just got 3 back from annual. I just bought 2 Mares Rebel 12 Nitrox (100% from the factory) but have heard getting Mares parts can be a long wait.

Sounds like a great deal on the Oceanic at Scubatoys.

The Oceanic is a balanced diaphragm with environmental seal, the Mares R2 and Scubapro Mk2 are unbalanced pistions. I've dove with a variety of Scubapro regs, including the Scubapro Mk2 / R190 (good reg), and I currently own & use Mares regs (MR-12 Proton and MR-22 Abyss, both are outstanding regs), but have never had the opportunity to dive with Oceanic regs.

All things being equal, in this case the Oceanic looks like the most bang for the buck, just because you are getting a balanced diaphragm 1st stage vs unbalanced piston 1st's. You'd probably be happy with any of those regs if the price is right however.

Best wishes.

Thanks for all of the input guys...it's really appreciated as this will be my first time buying gear. Also, for those wondering where I'd gotten my info on the warranties- I just went by what was listed on the Scubatoys site.

Back
Top Bottom