Oceanic Atom - No confidence

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like being able to change the batteries in my Datamax Pro Plus, Pro Plus 2 and VT Pro.

One thing less for which one can be price gouged.

No being able to tell the future, I ALWAYS carry extra batteries for our computers.

If, during a dive trip, the battery dies, I have backup.

That's one of the major reasons I purchased Oceanic computers.

But knowing Oceanic's customer service, I'm sure this issue will be settled with a happy result.

the K

Web Monkey:
You guys should go in the same direction Uwatec did with their SmartComs. The battery is completely sealed in the case and is non-user (or dealer) serviceable, and the case is packed with goo (grease of some sort, I beleive).

It's good for years, and then goes back to the factory for battery replacement. This would be good for you in a number of ways:

• Very few failures due to leakage
  • No chance of anybody improperly selaing the case, since it doesn't get opened outside of the factory.
  • Lower failure rates during the warranty period
  • You get to see how the computers are aging, in case you want to make design changes
  • Happier owners
Terry
I beg to differ on making the computer battery factory replaceable. One of the nicest features about Oceanic's Dive computers is that they are user friendly. This includes having the battery "user" or "dive store" replaceable. I owned, at one time, a dive computer that had to be sent to the manufacturer. Each battery change ran close to $75.00 not including shipping and insurance. In two years of ownership the battery had to be replaced 5 times. The computer originally ran for $700.00. As you can see, I was well on my way to matching the original purchase price. Ouch! The turn around time for the service was also a problem being anywhere from 1 to 5 weeks. Our training organization requires that we teach using dive computers. Imagine the down time and the cost factor of having to send in your entire rental fleet. User friendly is what I like.

Roy

OK to continue this story, I got a replacement Atom 1.0 and dove with it 7 times, with no flooding. Now I'm getting ready to go to Cozumel and my battery is dead. This is crazy, seven dives and the battery is dead!

love2fishfork,

Yikes, First and foremost after reading your threads sorry to see the litany of issues you have had. PM me your address and I will see that a fresh set of batts and a additional replacement will be sent an no charge. If it helps I can tell you that the battery issue is probably not due to the seven dives you put on it but the cumalative time it spent on the shelf at our factory, the LDS and your own shelf. The most recent versions of the ATOM 1.0 and 2.0 have battery lifes well in excess of a year.

Enjoy Cozumel. Don't forget to PM me and I will take care of that batt issue.

Regards,
Darryl

A replacement set of batteries AND a replacement unit?

This is why we're (my wife and I) going Oceanic with our regs and computers. Granted, I'm in the boat that doesn't trust wireless. An Oceanic Pro Plus 2 for my lovely wife, and most likely an Atmos AI for me. :p

I'd say PM Darryl for a unit replacement for your 1.0 and a free upgrade to the 2.0. You've obviously had enough issues to justify it. Plus it would look good on them to do it.

Just my opinion.

Maybe I misunderstood the following:

PM me your address and I will see that a fresh set of batts and a additional replacement will be sent an no charge

Emphasis added.

new set of batteries and an additional replacement set of batteries. Sorry for the confusion guys. My fault. I have been talking with love2fishfork regarding his options due to the problems he has had.

Thanks,
Darryl

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom