Oceanic Datamask Inoperative

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My earlier post indicated that replacement battery hatches, o-rings and screws will soon be available for retrofit at your dealer, or here at the factory. I'll get an update before the week's out.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug,

What is the status of the new batt hatch, o-ring, and screw replacement?

Update kits are being shipped today - West coast dealers will begin receiving them tomorrow - Monday, East coast should arrive end of next week.

Hi Doug,

First, Thank you for being a good listener. I have been reading this thread carefully and I am quite interested in buying a DataMask. I am writing you from Dubai, United Arab Emirates and we have a near buy Oceanic dealer in Abu Dhabi.

My question is, how would I know that our dealer hear has got the latest DataMasks with the mentioned kit above?

Are you bringing one soon with a bluetoath connection to fix the cable connectivity issue? Or have you fixed the cable issue?

Regards,

Thani

Last edited:
This thread is interesting for those of us interested in dive electronics. I would offer the following.

If you are concerned about losing an expensive item, have it scheduled on your homeowner's insurance policy with other expensive gear. Covers not only loss or theft, but breakage, etc. Cheap piece of mind.

Second, I have not seen a Bluetooth method for transferring data from a dive computer to a lap or desktop. Several Uwatec brands use wireless infrared to download information, and I have found this really nice and much more reliable than USB or other physical cables. I believe this is because IR's data transfer rate is faster (Tech-crunch » Bluetooth Vs Infrared). The other differences (IR is more secure, Bluetooth passes through walls, IR line of sight) don't seem relevant for a dive computer up-load capability.

Wireless transfer would be the way to go for the DataMask. Cables, connectors, and unsealed contact points always seem to cause issues with my marine electronics.

Dan

If I lose it, State Farm will buy me a new one
Even if in their view you didn't take adequate steps to prevent loss? If so, they're unlike any insurance company I've ever come across.

Actually, homeowner's coverage is quite good (I have State Farm, also). If an expensive piece of equipment falls overboard, a camera housing unit floods, a datamask falls out of a shelf on a rocking boat and breaks when it hits the deck, TSA inspectors don't repack a dome port properly and it gets scratched rubbing against a regulator, scheduling on your insurance is a really good measure.

Dan

Hi All,
Once I found the "trick" to the PC connection I've had very little problem getting the downloads to work. I found that the connector needs to be pushed "down" i.e. towards the lens once it has been clicked into the socket.

Wombat (and Doug, esp.)

I've tried, on and off, for five months to get my Datamask to talk to my computer, but it was only today, after rereading your post for the nth time, that I finally realized what the problem was (hint: operator error).

As of a few moments ago, I was finally able to download all my dives and start enjoying the software.

I think part of the reason I had such difficulty is that when I connected the cable (without pushing towards the glass) and fired up the software, the "TEST" function performed successfully, which, to me, indicated it was properly connected. If it has failed, I would have continued working with the connector with various approaches (hammer, two hammers) until it finally worked.

Anyway, here's a belated thanks for the info!
W.

Even if in their view you didn't take adequate steps to prevent loss? If so, they're unlike any insurance company I've ever come across.

It's a personal articles policy, I wanted more coverage than my homeowners would provide. The PPA policy covers loss, theft, dropping it and stepping on it, ALL risks. My agent is a diver and she hasn't said anything about taking steps to keep from losing it. And she knows how hard I am on gear! :11:

Update kits are being shipped today - West coast dealers will begin receiving them tomorrow - Monday, East coast should arrive end of next week.

Doug, do the dealers have to order these, or are you shipping them based on masks that you shipped? Mike hasn't said anything about a retrofit kit. I'll ask him tomorrow if he knows about them.

Back
Top Bottom