Oceanic Geo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver 86

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone have experience with Oceanic Geo dive computer?

I use one and like it. If you're trying to program a dive plan in it can be kind of confusing the first time but after a bit the interface becomes easy to navigate. The buttons are easy to use even when using my 5mm gloves and the 2 screens are easy to switch between during dives. The audible alarm isn't very loud, I can never hear it while wearing my 6.5mm hood. It's a good computer for a beginner or recreational diver and I would buy it again. If you have any other questions just ask.

Anyone have experience with Oceanic Geo dive computer?
I use a Geo as a back-up to my VT3 and it has been reliable and works as advertised. It's hard to give you a better answer without more specifics on what you want to know.

My wife has the Geo and it is just fine for her needs.

When she is not diving I use it as a backup. The buttons can be a pain when using thick gloves or dry gloves - I dive dry in the cold water, so that is a drawback for me. She only dives in warm water and with no gloves, so for her it is not an issue.

I find the display a bit small for my poor eyesight.

It depends on what questions you have and what you are looking for in a computer.

I bought one in October and made three shallow dives in local scuba parks. Everything worked fine. Went to Cozumel first week of December and the screen went blank while sitting in the airport on the way out of the country. While waiting on the plane, I removed and reinstalled the same battery. Everything came back up and looked fine. I made a shore dive that evening and it worked fine. Next morning, on the way to the dive site, it started showing change battery. Before we started the first dive, it was back to normal. Made two dives and it worked fine. Back on land I bought a new battery and replaced it. Worked fine until the next day, started showing change battery at breakfast and soon the screen was blank. Took battery out and put same battery back in and made that day's dives. Worked fine until retuning home. Used as a watch for two days and went into change battery again. Luckily, I bought local from a great dive shop. They are exchanging with new. In looking through the reviews, it seems that this is a common problem for the Geo. I just wondered how many were in use without issues.

That does suck! If memory serves me, some people were having problems with the Geo, and other Oceanic PDCs, when they would change the battery and not put in the exact replacement Oceanic recommended. Apparently, some of the batteries that were listed as direct replacements (by battery manufacturers, not Oceanic), couldn't handle the draw when the computer was put into, or went into dive mode, and the screens would dim or go blank and the low battery indicator would come on. I'm not sure this has anything to do with what went wrong with your Geo, but it's possible. On the other hand, you may have just gotten a "Friday build". I haven't heard of any inherent problems with the Geo. And mine has worked fine for nearly 2 years and 300 dives.

I bought one in October and made three shallow dives in local scuba parks. Everything worked fine. Went to Cozumel first week of December and the screen went blank while sitting in the airport on the way out of the country. While waiting on the plane, I removed and reinstalled the same battery. Everything came back up and looked fine. I made a shore dive that evening and it worked fine. Next morning, on the way to the dive site, it started showing change battery. Before we started the first dive, it was back to normal. Made two dives and it worked fine. Back on land I bought a new battery and replaced it. Worked fine until the next day, started showing change battery at breakfast and soon the screen was blank. Took battery out and put same battery back in and made that day's dives. Worked fine until retuning home. Used as a watch for two days and went into change battery again. Luckily, I bought local from a great dive shop. They are exchanging with new. In looking through the reviews, it seems that this is a common problem for the Geo. I just wondered how many were in use without issues.

i have almost the same situation with my GEO luckily i managed to return it last night to my LDS and I'm now comtemplating on TUSA Zen but I have not yet decided on it because I like the big display on the GEO. I read from somewhere that Oceanic recommends either sony or panasonic brand of battery though I'm not sure how true it is.

I bought an Aeris Manta (exactly the same as the Geo) about a year and a half ago. I got a change battery message during the first dive trip. I was kind of expecting that since there were others mentioning the same problem at the time I was shopping. Changed the battery and haven't had an issue since. In fact, I'm still using the same Energizer battery I put in at that time. So, I'm happy.

I don't think Oceanic recommends a particular brand of replacement battery, I think that determination came from users and independent testing.

Yes, if you're going to replace your battery, Sony and Panasonic CR series batteries seem to work best. Some Oceanic PDCs are very finicky about their batteries, most are not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom