Oceanic Omega3 Announced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hopefully the new Omega bodies will fit the older innards. I have one on a conshelf cold water first stage. Just can't imagine anything else more durable. On page 372 of the Diving Pioneers and Innovators, there is picture of Bob Hollis about to dive in 2007. He is sporting two Omega second stages.

I like the idea of a seperate exhaust from the diaphram. I went to the zeta to get this then Oceanic abandoned that reg too.

My only failure was using it on a FF, Super Mask. Because of the mask I did not have my mouth on the mouthpiece and was not aware of the reg flooding. The dive was in fresh water through the ice. Other than that a very easy, large volume breather that hardly ever needs adjustment. I did detune it a bit in ice water as ice can change the dynamics just a bit. Since I have gone Poseidon since they still provide parts for their 50 year old regs.

I heard a rumor that the Zeta might be coming back in an Aeris badge. Nothing confirmed, but I know Ron at AUP loves the Zeta and would like to see it back.

It looks great... I wonder how it breathes?

I was a fanatical Tekna and Omega diver back in the 80s. My regs were stolen in the early 90s and were not replaceable at that time.

If the new ones breathe like the old, they will be without equal, once you master them.

The servos, just amazing. I tuned them so they would deliver air with the purge button submerged in 2" of water. You almost had to exhale ever so slightly to keep the reg from force-feeding you air. I did this on purpose as I learned to have total control over my breathing this way. This is not for everyone, by the way. But, once you learned it, you could NEVER overbreathe these regs, no matter how deep or how hard you were working. I dove them 250' on the Wilkes-Barre and they were smooth as silk. When diving deep wrecks off Miami in very strong currents, going up and down anchor lines, no amount of effort or exertion ever gave me that "I'm not getting enough air" feeling. They delivered air effortlessly by just opening your airway, you did not have to consciouisly inhale under normal conditions. And when the work was hard, they actually would "feed" you gallons and gallons of air if you sucked on them.

Because of the way I aggressively tuned them, they could "stutter" on shallow (30' or less), but that was easily done away with once you mastered your breathing technique.

In sum, they were the best of the best, took some time and care to learn, but they quickly became instinctive to use.

Oh, I forgot the delight of the featherweight second stage, never any jaw fatigue!

Right now, I have Apex XTX and my wife has scubapro Mk 25-S600, both adjusted as aggressively as possible. We swap back and forth and of the two I think hers is the easier breather, by a little. But, and I know memory is a tricky thing, I do not view either of these as breathing as well as my Teknas and Omegas. Working hard against the currents in Jupiter when navigating around the wrecks, I have, once or twice, had the impression that I wanted more air than I could get from the regs, something I never felt with the servos.

I am going to see if Force-E will let me test dive the new Hollis or Omega, just to see if it would be worth a change.

I learned to dive with an omega in 1988 and had it rebuilt several times. Loved diving with it but switched to an atomic a few years ago....ok but just not as easy breathing as my omega.

Am hoping that I can just buy the new and lighter first stage and hook my old omega to it soon!

Longtime user of the omegas (25 yrs) and just got done diving this wekeend with my new omega 3. (fyi, if you have an omega 2, you 'might' be able to trade it in if you send it to them for service and get a discount on the 3. at least they did for me)

If your a fan of the omega 1/2, the omega 3 is EVEN BETTER; no more wet mouth and the breathing is literally effortless. when i say effortless, i have the 2 as my spare and when you put them both up against each other it is night and day.

Even though it is bigger than the 2, weight difference it seems just as light. The swivel on it is way cool.

In short, get this reg!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom