Oceanic Pro Plus 2 or Suunto Cobra 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been using a ProPlus 2 for the last 2 years and love it. The numbers are so easy to read on the large screen.

The newest Oceanic computers use the pelagic z+ algorithm which is rather close to Suunto, whereas the Pro Plus 2 still has the liberal Haldean algorithm. My preference is for the Suunto algorithm. It may be a sign that Oceanic is abandoning the liberal algorithm

I like this style of computer as well -- the AI in a hose with quick disconnect. Just attach to a small retractor and there's not need to unclip to use, and all the numbers and the compass are in one place. When you ascend you can hold the console in your right hand and control the inflator with your left.

Adam

The newest Oceanic computers use the pelagic z+ algorithm which is rather close to Suunto, whereas the Pro Plus 2 still has the liberal Haldean algorithm. My preference is for the Suunto algorithm. It may be a sign that Oceanic is abandoning the liberal algorithm

I like this style of computer as well -- the AI in a hose with quick disconnect. Just attach to a small retractor and there's not need to unclip to use, and all the numbers and the compass are in one place. When you ascend you can hold the console in your right hand and control the inflator with your left.

Adam
The newest Oceanics are coming with 2 algorithms giving the user the choice of using the traditionally more liberal one or the more conservative one.

The newest Oceanics are coming with 2 algorithms giving the user the choice of using the traditionally more liberal one or the more conservative one.

My source is

Oceanic Worldwide - Dive Computers - OC1 Wristwatch with Dual Algorithm

You'll notice the new OC1 computer gives you a choice of DSAT or the Pelagic Z+ Buhlmann algorithm. The Z+ is in fact close to the Suunto in conservatism.

The ProPlus 2 gives you a choice of the liberal Haldanean or DSAT algorithm

The trouble is the DSAT is extremely conservative-- the graphs show this to be far more conservative than anything else--far more than Suunto's.

This makes me think that Oceanic is moving away from the liberal Haldanean algorithm of the past.

Here are the algorithm graphs:
http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/img/p_computers_dualalgo_graph1.jpg

Adam

....The trouble is the DSAT is extremely conservative--....

???

According to the chart .... Pelagic DSAT with Conservative OFF is the MOST LIBERAL algorithm among the ones tested ....

One's head must be tilted down to view (unless the hose is way long) which severely diminishes situational awarness including keeping an eye on your buddy...

Surely someone with 1000+ dives has come to the realization that staring at the display isn't necessary. Just glance at it every now and then. The fact that it's console mounted is irrelevant.

It really sounds to me like you just don't like console style computers and are making some generalizations around that opinion.

I've used a Pro Plus and later a Pro Plus II for hundreds of dives and personally, I have no issue whatsoever with "maintaining a proper body position" or keeping an eye on by buddy. If you're having issues with either of those skills, your computer mount style is NOT your problem.

-Charles

I dived with the Pro Plus for years but switched to a wrist mounted computer with a wireless transmitter. It is much more convienent to glance at your wrist for all information than to continually un-clip a console to view the same. In addition, holding a console out to view all but eliminates descending and ascending in the preferred horizonal trim position. Second choice would be a wrist mounted computer and a quality brass Submerged Pressure Gauge (SPG)

Surely someone with 1000+ dives has come to the realization that staring at the display isn't necessary. Just glance at it every now and then. The fact that it's console mounted is irrelevant.

It really sounds to me like you just don't like console style computers and are making some generalizations around that opinion.

I've used a Pro Plus and later a Pro Plus II for hundreds of dives and personally, I have no issue whatsoever with "maintaining a proper body position" or keeping an eye on by buddy. If you're having issues with either of those skills, your computer mount style is NOT your problem.

-Charles

It is very easy to take issue with anyone's statements if you substitute words as you have replacing glance & view with "stare". You are correct, I do not believe consoles are the way to go if purchasing equipment new. Conventional wisdom also has experienced divers recommending BP/Wings over jacket style BCs as well in order to avoid two purchases instead of a more thoughtful one early on.

Back to the computer, common sense dictates it is quicker and more convenient to glance, view or even stare using your term at a wrist mounted computer as opposed to un-clipping one's console to accomplish the same as well as being more streamlined. For these reasons you will have to travel long and far to find a technical diving agency or instructor who prefers or will allow a student to utilize a computer mounted console. See #29 on GUE's equipment configuration requirements in order to illustate just one agency's position.

Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers

Yep, I knew that was coming. Yet another GUE/DIR diver who drank the cool-aid and now everything that everyone else does is "wrong."

That said, I totally respect GUE and their training courses. It's second to none and I wish the other training agencies would adopt some of their ideas. The biggest problem with GUE/DIR is how elitist the graduates become afterwards. The all seem to believe that their way is the only way and everything else is substandard.

A BP/W is not an inevitable purchase. I asked a DM in Palau about that about a month ago and he said they were just not of any benefit in warm water diving. He makes more than 600 dives per year.

There are tons of divers out there happily using their consoles. If they like them and are comfortable using them, then none of us should be telling them that they're wrong. We certainly shouldn't be scaring them with nonsense about not being able to maintain a position or keep an eye on a buddy.

Like I said before, if you're having trouble with either of those skills, the problem most certainly isn't your computer.

-Charles

???

According to the chart .... Pelagic DSAT with Conservative OFF is the MOST LIBERAL algorithm among the ones tested ....

Yes you're right. I was looking at the DSAT graph with the conservative factor ON. So their newest computer gives you a choice of extremely liberal DSAT, extremely conservative DSAT with the conservative factor ON, and the Z+ which is close to Suunto.

Of the three I'd go with the Z+ or the Suunto.

Adam

Well, I made a purchase and a decision. sort of.

Manged to snag a Pro Plus 2 with PC kit for a great price on Craistlist. It should be here mid next week.

But, with my indecisiveness, I also got a great price on a Suunto Vytec DS with transmitter brand new and in the box, also on CraigsList

I figure now I can try em both and not be in a rush to decide. Then I can either sell one or keep it as a backup.

Back
Top Bottom