Oceanic Regulator First Stage Recall/Retrofit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the comments.

IMHO the idea that "the reg just works" isn't a really valid way to understand and evaluate if a repair or recall has been properly repaired, or a service has been done properly. Quite an oversimplification I think, given the nature of my question.

It may work for the one or 2 breaths in the store you test it on... But I was thinking more along the lines of learning what a certified and thorough technician would do for a full servicing and repair.

What I am looking for is the steps I should look out for and ask about as a responsible diver wanting to learn more about maintenance, and someone who considers the quality and care of "life support" equipment to be of the utmost priority.

Pressure checks? Diaphragms? Replace all O-rings? Tighten any screws or fittings? Etc. (I am just making stuff up here, but this is what I want to learn...)

I mean, without having an established relationship, you wouldn't just let some other person you don't know set up or check your dive gear without checking it out yourself on a dive boat would you? I even check and double check my friends and buddies gear as it only takes a few seconds... So why not check the work your LDS or dive tech is doing...

Do you have the specialized equipment to test your regulator after it's return? Neither does anybody else.

If you want to know if it was serviced properly, take it out and use it. If it works, it was repaired correctly. Never take untested gear onto a dive boat. Take it to a controlled environment (i.e. pool) first and check it out.

If you want to know the specific steps that are taken, take the Oceanic tech course.

The "reg just works" theory is all you have. At some point you have to trust that the Oceanic trained and certified technician who uses genuine Oceanic parts did his job.

Had my girlfriends and my regs in today for the retrofit, took only a couple of minuits and no questions.

Thanx Oceanic for standing behind your products :wink:

The repair takes minutes to complete. I took my new first stage in and watched them repair what looked like a thick rubber washer part. It was explained to me that this part was wearing unevenly and that is where the failure occurred. At no time did I have any problems with the first stage before or after getting it serviced.

I bought my FDX-10 and Delta 4 Regulator new only a month ago and it just showed up as being on the retro list. :rofl3:
I only wish the closest authorized dealer wasn't 50+ miles away, but well worth the trip for the piece of mind. It has performed flawlessly so far and I have no regrets whatsoever going with Oceanic..

Does the recall affect the new EOS regulator? I bought my EOS, used of the board and it was serviced this year just a few weeks before I bought it, I have documentation. Just curious since the recall was posted back in 2007.

Hi Doug...

I livre in Thailand. Where can I get the repair / service done. There is an authorized dealer listed, but it is only an office.

Thanks

Doug Krause:

Our local oceanic dealers are now out of business. I haven't checked by numbers against the listing. since there is noone in the Beaumont, Texas area, where and who is the next best dealer to get my regs checked. Also, I am having a "Zeta" problem. Where can I get this looked at by a reputable tech?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom