Oceanic scuba gear for a beginner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The retailer that Jsado is working with is in fact a Oceanic retailer in good standing with a retail facility. Good package but I would suggest the GT-3 or Delta 4 upgrade.

Regards,
Darryl

Ditto on what Darryl Said. I have the probe/alpha7 combo that I use in the pool for classes every week. I've dove the same setup in the ocean to depths of 70' or so and would trust it even deeper. It's a great package but I would upgrade at least the octo, those slimlines are nice and compact but don't breath as well as the alpha7/gt3 octo.

Great having you here and I can tell you from experience that Oceanic will stand behind their products 100%. I own 4 Oceanic regs (2-Delta 4's, alpha 7, and xs2 air)and they all function flawlessly every time when properly maintained.

You might tell your LDS that you will buy off the net if they don't do a deal and they will deal. The sticker price is negotiable in every store I've been in.

My advice is use the rental gear for your classes first. I know the urge to buy all your own gear right at the start....I felt it too.

However, there are many considerations. Try out a Jacket BC and a back inflate as part of your dives....you may feel strongly about a particular one. See what a regular reg feel like to breathe from....you will appreciate a better one more when you buy it....go out and dive with a rented SPG...you will appreciate it more when you get a better computer later...some people rather use a wrist mounted computer over a console...

In short, if you are fearful of wasting money, go try the rental stuff first. Most places offer equipment free with the OW class. You may be surprised at the choices you will make. Once you are more comfortable at making a good decision, give your LDS a shot and compare with websites like Scubatoys or Leisurepro (both big boys for online scuba gear). Either should let you customise a package and offer discounts. I hesitate to buy stuff from Ebay....unless it is from a proper retailer.

I got the whole nine yards from LP. Spent a lot of money for a first purchase (almost 4k)....included loads of odds and ends which I though were must haves.

Dive first....see what you want then. What you plan to do is almost like buying a convertible without first trying to see if you would enjoy the open top experience....you may find out that a 4wd is better?

It looks like a good package, but you should make sure that you like console computers and jacket BCDs before you buy it. Wrist computers tend to be easier to watch, and back inflate BDCs help you to be horizontal, and they don't squeeze you when you inflate them.

I just got a pm from a scubaboard member pointing me in the right direction for Oceanic gear. I found an unbelievably low price elsewhere. The jacket would be upgraded to the excursion, the reg would be upgraded to a gt3 AND I'd have an AirII for almost the same price.

The gt3 reg says that it is a yoke regulator. What exactly does this mean and is it good or bad? Also, this reg doesn't have DVT. Is this going to be a problem?

jsado:
The gt3 reg says that it is a yoke regulator. What exactly does this mean and is it good or bad? Also, this reg doesn't have DVT. Is this going to be a problem?
Yoke regulators are the norm in America. Europe uses DIN regulators. DVT is just a failsafe to make sure you don't ruin your regulator by washing it without the dust cap in place. It's not necessary.

Yoke is the standard connection type you'll get at most LDS, then there's DIN, which a lot of pros swere by...tho o-ring is in the reg. not the tank.
The GT3 is fine reg and I'm a big fan of Oceanic and its sister company Aeris, my gear includes an Oceanic CDX-5 w/DVT 1st stage w/ Oceanic GT3 2nd stage , Slimline 2 Octo, Oceanic SWIV Navcon, Aeris Atmos XT BC (this is nice BDC 'cause its a hybrid between back inflanted & jacket)..any way I got it all through www.divers-supply.com an Oceanic authorized dealer with great prices... my set up was less than $800 (might have been an extra $50-60 with a computer like in your set-up)...though it was a few months agos but you can call them up and get even better pricing than those on the website.

Also, as far as going with an Air2 there are many mixed feeling about it, keep reading on the board...and you'll get better info...concider an alpha 8 octo, but the slimline is good if your on a tight budget.

Ohhh...ad as far the the DVT goes, it something to consider, you'll also get mixed reviews on it all over the board but mine has it and Its really a nice extra safety to have after such a large investment....for only a few buck more.

Good luck and happy buying.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom