Oceanic scuba gear for a beginner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Excellent info from everyone. I really appreciate it all. Thanks!

Oceanic is great gear. I like buying from a dive shop rather than the net. We need dive shops and you need dive shops period. For obvious reasons. If you have problems
are when you need training ... we can't go to the net. Dive shops need all the customers they can get. I know its mean but if a person walked in with web gear and needed help we tell them the net will help you .... won't they? They get the meaning really fast and something we'd of helped with for free is now chargeable. If everyone bought gear from the web how can shops stay open? Think about it.

I would enter a shop and tell them you are shopping the net what can they do for you. You have to save money / be affordable to you. A shop with any thing upstairs should come down rather than losing a sale. If they don't go to the next shop.

I'm not for sure I use an Oceanic Versa Pro for recreational diving. I'd make sure the computer does nitrox you'll progress rather fast into it. And if it don't handle nitrox you'll be looking to upgrade alot sooner than you want to.

Air II vs. Octo

I've heard air II is the way to go. But now, I'm hearing different!! I have one dive under my belt. Ever. However, it seems reasonable enough to assume that air II would be better. No?

jsado:
Air II vs. Octo

I've heard air II is the way to go. But now, I'm hearing different!! I have one dive under my belt. Ever. However, it seems reasonable enough to assume that air II would be better. No?
It eliminates a hose. Some people don't like it because they are worried that if the hose fails, then you lose both you BCD inflater and octo. But the chances of the hose failing at the same time that your buddy is out of air, are slim to none, and unless you're planning on doing tech diving, whether you have an Air2 or not doesn't really make a difference. It's purely personal preference. I would dive with an Air2, but I didn't like how the inflater was arranged. It was awkward to use the inflater with the mouthpiece on the end. So I dive with a normal octo.

This thread kinda addresses a question I was going to ask....

I have finished my OW classes and I am awaiting my check-out dives. I would like to purchase my equipment as well; thinking that I may stick with my new hobby if I commit to buying the gear. I am fortunate to have a LDS ~20 miles away...the next closest shop is about 70 miles. My LDS carries Oceanic equipment and there are a few perks associated with purchasing from my LDS that buying online can't offer (e.g. after purchasing I can splash around in his pool to test the equipment and make sure it will work, free 'AOW course', service, etc..).

My first question I think has been answered, as I wanted to make sure Oceanic was a quality manufacturer. In my LDS, I put together a package of.....

reg. GT3, $399.95
BCD Excursion $529.95
computer Veo 250 $619.95 (I had it in a console instead of wristmount....I'm afraid I'd lose if it was only attached to my wrist, but that's just me)
octo slimline $109.95
exposure 7mm wetsuit $239.95( i live in IN and will probably do most of my diving up around here)

All that equipment that he priced is at the MSRP from Oceanic's website....which is pretty pricey. But the AOW course for free is a $150 savings, plus Oceanic will throw in their 3-wheeled bag to store all my gear (save ~$159.95).

Is MSRP fairly standard for a small LDS with the other 'perks' thrown in?
In nearly every BCD thread on this board, someone eventually mentions a BP/W setup is preferred over the typical BCD (be it a jacket or back inflate)....how would the Oceanic Excusrion differ from a BP/W?

jsado:
Air II vs. Octo

I like it under some circumstances, not under others. To some degree it's a matter of taste.

terfmop:
This thread kinda addresses a question I was going to ask....

I have finished my OW classes and I am awaiting my check-out dives. I would like to purchase my equipment as well; thinking that I may stick with my new hobby if I commit to buying the gear. I am fortunate to have a LDS ~20 miles away...the next closest shop is about 70 miles. My LDS carries Oceanic equipment and there are a few perks associated with purchasing from my LDS that buying online can't offer (e.g. after purchasing I can splash around in his pool to test the equipment and make sure it will work, free 'AOW course', service, etc..).

My first question I think has been answered, as I wanted to make sure Oceanic was a quality manufacturer. In my LDS, I put together a package of.....

reg. GT3, $399.95
BCD Excursion $529.95
computer Veo 250 $619.95 (I had it in a console instead of wristmount....I'm afraid I'd lose if it was only attached to my wrist, but that's just me)
octo slimline $109.95
exposure 7mm wetsuit $239.95( i live in IN and will probably do most of my diving up around here)

All that equipment that he priced is at the MSRP from Oceanic's website....which is pretty pricey. But the AOW course for free is a $150 savings, plus Oceanic will throw in their 3-wheeled bag to store all my gear (save ~$159.95).

Is MSRP fairly standard for a small LDS with the other 'perks' thrown in?
In nearly every BCD thread on this board, someone eventually mentions a BP/W setup is preferred over the typical BCD (be it a jacket or back inflate)....how would the Oceanic Excusrion differ from a BP/W?
I think there's still a bit of fat in the deal, bargin for things that don't cost the LDS directly, two or three years of servicing, free air for some period of time, etc.

I clicked on one of the banners that advertises "oceanic packages", this one was for "Oceanic Realm: A Division of Visibility Unlimited", I put together a very similar to the one above (swivel octo instead of the slimline) for $1279.95, then I went to the Oceanic website and found Visibility Unlimited as one of their authorized dealers and when I put the same package together from that site, my total was $1589.80 . Then, I went directly to Visibility Unlimited's website (not from Oceanic's site) and got a price of $1375.00.

Why such a broad spread of prices?

terfmop:
Why such a broad spread of prices?

Simple economics.
Consider all factors besides cost when purchasing.
If the LDS is a good one with good and long lasting customer service, that is worth it in the long run. Otherwise if they don't care about things after the sale, say your goodbye to them now.

Take an on-line quote to your LDS see if they at least come close...your talking about a $400+ difference compared to an authorized net dealer...If they want the sale they altleast try to come close.

Just a thought! Enjoy the process.

Back
Top Bottom