Oceanic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ams511:
I notice very little difference breathing from either at depth. In shallow water most regs breath pretty easy (although some actually do better at depth), so I am wondering if the reg you used was set up correctly.

second that. My LDS has all sherwood in their rental line up.Very robust, although every reg will give in if it has not been serviced properly or at all for that matter. Also it is near impossible to tell the difference in breathing rates of regs in a pool

rescuediver009:
second that. My LDS has all sherwood in their rental line up.Very robust, although every reg will give in if it has not been serviced properly or at all for that matter. Also it is near impossible to tell the difference in breathing rates of regs in a pool

It gets said over and over again, but you can't beat Sherwood for annual maintenance costs. It's almost ridiculously when compared to other brands. Seems like the better part of their line cost <$10 for the first and second stage annual parts.

mariov:
Hey guys

As i am on the process of start buying equipment i haev heard that Oceanic is the brand to go with ! I have used Oceanic before and they are pretty good so i was wondering what do you think

Regards,

Mario

Mario,

First of all, congrats on becoming a scuba diver.

Secondly, my first regulators several years ago was a Mares V16 Orbiter with an Oceanic Gamma alternate air source. I still have that combination and it is a great system. The only differences that I can tell between the two 2nd stages is that the Orbiter breathes a little easier than the Gamma. It's not a depth issue, just a slight difference. Too bad Mares doesn't make the Orbiter any more...

The other difference is that the Orbiter breathes dry in any position, whereas the Gamma breathes wet when you are upside down and stationary. Not a very common position, but one I have done on occasion.

The shop I teach thru carries the Oceanic line, as well as the Mares and Genesis line of equipment. The rental stock is all Oceanic, but I am diving a Mares Abyss with a Proton alternate at this point. My Orbiter/Gamma combo is now my backup reg system, and I also have a Mares MR12/Proton with a Proton alternate as another set. The instructor staff and some of the regulars are now all diving Mares Abyss regulators.

Hope this helps you out in your choice selection.

Randy Cain

PurduEE:
It gets said over and over again, but you can't beat Sherwood for annual maintenance costs. It's almost ridiculously when compared to other brands. Seems like the better part of their line cost <$10 for the first and second stage annual parts.

I think that my LDS charges a whopping $12 for the first and second kit and the octo is $2. And that is in canadan Dollars, and after the warranty is over after the first two years.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I just bought an Oceanic GT/CDX5 regulator set and my LDS told me that Oceanic gives free parts to the dive shops to service the regs. This means that you will only pay for the labor. (I assume that there are a few shops that don't like the consumer to know this, so they can charge for parts and labor.) There are other companies that do this also, so you may want to research this a little, cause free parts could save you a ton of money over time. Oh well, I just thought this would be helpful.

christopher1260:
Correct me if i'm wrong, but I just bought an Oceanic GT/CDX5 regulator set and my LDS told me that Oceanic gives free parts to the dive shops to service the regs. This means that you will only pay for the labor. (I assume that there are a few shops that don't like the consumer to know this, so they can charge for parts and labor.) There are other companies that do this also, so you may want to research this a little, cause free parts could save you a ton of money over time. Oh well, I just thought this would be helpful.

I believe that you are correct on that. I know that Mares does that as well as ScubaPro. It just seems to make sense...

christopher1260:

I couldn't see that... well maybe i could but it is very rare. Alot of the manufacturers are offering this. Oceanic, apeks, aqualung, USD, zeagle, etc. the only one i can think of that doesn;t is sherwood, but they are dirt cheap anyways.

All of these are conditional of course pending your annual maintenance.

I dive with CDX5/Alpha 7 and love them.

Oceanik UK customer service is fantastic as well. Mine have just had their first service, when I realised I hadn't had the lifetime warranty certificate to get free parts, and my regs were in the shop!

One call to Oceanic confirmed that my regs were correctly registered, they called the shop to authorise the parts and sent my warranty cert out.

Can't praise them highly enough.

Dom

Cheers guys

I will continue my log research (Oceanic are favourite) and tell you what i haev decided.

Many thanks to all that replied

Mario

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom