OceanLog/Windows 7 64bit Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

did you find the solution ? I had the same problem and in my case the error was on my side :)
I was getting all the symptoms as you and I simply did not choose what model of Oceanic PDC I have when the Ocean Log software asked me to. I was simply ignoring that and the default was set to OC1, after I chose Geo 2.0 all works perfectly.

P.S.
Also Win7, 64bit

Yup, went through all that with Tech Support.

Is anyone using the 64 bit version of Windows 7 & has been able to get this to work?

Umberth--unfortunately, I am selecting the right PDC.

Rascally Rabbit--disabling everything didn't work. There isn't anything connected to the laptop. There is no update for the BIOS nor USB from Toshiba.

Last edited:
I have the 64 bit version of Windows 7, on a Dell laptop with an Intel i7 chip

Although I fought with it at first, OceanLog works for me......as well as OceanLog software can work. I have no problem downloading from a Geo 2.

I'm on Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit on a Lenovo laptop with T6400 processor and 4 gigs of RAM. I have used Oceanlog versions 2.2.5 through 2.2.8 with two Atom 2.0 and a VT3 computer. I have also had the same computer set up with Vista 64 bit and Oceanlog. Like others from time to time I have found issues but the steps that have been described on this thread have cleared the problems of all but a few. Sorry we couldn't say the same for you but if these tips and tech support have not been able to clear things up for you then maybe there is another problem unrelated to the Oceanlog software that is being brought to light if you haven't used other devices with your USB ports.

Just an update.....

I've gone through everything listed, and nothing will work. On the other hand, I downloaded & installed Diving Log, used the exact same cable & drivers. When I tell it to download, it works perfectly every time.

This is NOT a problem with my computer, nor is it an issue with incorrectly installed drivers. This is a problem in the OceanLog software. The software is not accessing the registry correctly to see where the cable is installed.

This occurs because the s/w looks in the registry for HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\SERIALCOMM\VCP0

On my desktop, every time I connect the cable, it sets in the registry as VCP0. It works correctly.

On my laptop, every time I connect the cable, it sets the VCP number as the next in the sequence (VCP1, unplug, connect, VCP2, unplug, connect, VCP3). While this is unique for my laptop, the software should be intelligent enough to recognize where the cable is plugged in.

This is a problem in the OceanLog software. This was identified in a previous version here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/aeris/293302-aci-oceanlog-selects-incorrect-com-port.html

Please let me know if there is a workaround or a fix for this.

I have been fighting this problem on the laptops (2 different ones, 1-XP, 1-Win 7) for 2 years now. I just get a time out after the handshake...I have just about given up...I download them on the desktop, save the log and import them into the laptop. Seem like a Loooooong way to go to get it to work...I have asked Doug, a couple of different ways on how to get it to work and ...nothing......

I have windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. I do know that both Professional/Ultimate has an XP option or is more compatible with things made for XP that the basic windows7 or Home. Atleast thats what the description says. I have Ocean log working on My Computer with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, My G/F laptop Running windows 7 Professional 64bit with no problems. I had it running fine on my 32bit XP before I switched to 64bit windows 7 and Still have it on an older 32bit XP computer

Adam,

I have a Toshiba Laptop (P500, i7) with Windows 7 64-bit and it works for me.

I looked in the registry for 'VCP0' and the only entry I have is here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\SERIALCOMM

Key: \Device\VCP0
Value: COM4

Do you have any other keys in there with other VCP entries? Is there one with VCP0?

Back
Top Bottom