Octo on necklace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My pleasure, that's what scubaboard is all about. We all have our queries and hopefully someone can help us all. I know I have found out heaps by asking. The only silly question is the one you don't ask.

Have fun diving

In addition to using the necklaced alternate reg (how's that for semantics?), I recently switched to a Miflex hose and a 90º fitting. It's very comfortable. I also have a 90º fitting on the primary reg, but it's on a standard rubber hose.

In addition to using the necklaced alternate reg (how's that for semantics?), I recently switched to a Miflex hose and a 90º fitting. It's very comfortable. I also have a 90º fitting on the primary reg, but it's on a standard rubber hose.

I don't have an issue with swivels on hoses but steer away from manufacturer "special" hoses. Apart from being offended from being "forced" to buy their special hoses at an excessive rate, there is also the risk of having a hose failure and not being able to easily get a replacement. Got caught at Truk when I blew a quick disconnect HP hose and not a hope in hell of getting a replacement or even fitting a standard HP hose. I now replace any "non standard fittings" with standard. If I cant do this on the item, I simply buy from another manufacturer, and then never buy anything from the other manufacturer ever again on principle.

Good advise so far, nothing wrong with necklace backup. My observation thus far is that OOA divers will generally come for the breathing valve in your mouth and generally don't ask during this panic state, they just take.

Good advise so far, nothing wrong with necklace backup. My observation thus far is that OOA divers will generally come for the breathing valve in your mouth and generally don't ask during this panic state, they just take.

I have never had that unpleasant experience to date, and hope to never have to. Always believe in the motto "Be Prepared"

I dive with my alternate on a necklace as well and the hoses are normal length. When/if they grab my primary, my alternate is right there handy and I have no trouble finding it. If they asked I'd probably give them my primary anyway because it would be quicker. If the hose situation wasn't ideal for the exit, we would then switch. Fortunately, I haven't had a buddy with an emergency OOA yet!

Mike

Having struggled to unhook octos from "easy releases" on BCDs during my confined water sessions (while breathing comfortably on my own regulator) I've informed my husband/buddy that if I am ever (here's hoping it doesn't happen) out of air, just be ready for me to take your primary. I can't imagine having time to process the thought required to locate and release a regular octo if you are really panicking.

We had a DM who uses a long hose primary, and it was so much easier to do out of air drills with him, not to mention as a panicked diver you know the primary is going to breath well, when sometimes the octos don't, and swimming with the long hose is so much easier than swimming together with the octo.

I don't have an issue with swivels on hoses but steer away from manufacturer "special" hoses. Apart from being offended from being "forced" to buy their special hoses at an excessive rate, there is also the risk of having a hose failure and not being able to easily get a replacement. Got caught at Truk when I blew a quick disconnect HP hose and not a hope in hell of getting a replacement or even fitting a standard HP hose. I now replace any "non standard fittings" with standard. If I cant do this on the item, I simply buy from another manufacturer, and then never buy anything from the other manufacturer ever again on principle.
For the record, miflex hoses are standard size fittings, they're just more flexible than "standard" hoses.

In SSI we are taught to donate our primary second stage. This takes into consideration the use of octo integrated with the BCD power inflator, which cannot be donated owing to the short hose.
With this in mind my octo is not yellow and is near my mouth with a necklace.

I dove with a necklace for a while until it started getting in the way. I now just stuff the hose in my bungee chest strap.
I donate the 7ft hose and grab for my backup in the chest strap. It's out of the way and secure there and always there.
I've had a couple instances where what I was doing the necklace got caught in something (gear removal or whatever) so I quit using one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom