Octo on necklace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove with a necklace for a while until it started getting in the way. I now just stuff the hose in my bungee chest strap.
I donate the 7ft hose and grab for my backup in the chest strap. It's out of the way and secure there and always there.
I've had a couple instances where what I was doing the necklace got caught in something (gear removal or whatever) so I quit using one.

Not exactly sure what you mean by "stuff the hose in my bungee chest strap", but I'm interpreting this is making a bend in the hose and putting the bend under the chest strap. I have never tried this, so I am not making any criticisms of it, but wouldn't it be prone to coming out accidentally?

Y'all convinced me. Octo on necklace, longer primary. Thanks

I only loop octo hose though on a loop on rental BCDs that don't have an octo plug. But I won't do it again because doesn't seem safe. If something goes through the hose loop (e.g. spare flashlight, knife whatever,) the octo hose may not pull back through the ring.

Not exactly sure what you mean by "stuff the hose in my bungee chest strap", but I'm interpreting this is making a bend in the hose and putting the bend under the chest strap. I have never tried this, so I am not making any criticisms of it, but wouldn't it be prone to coming out accidentally?

never had that issue on any of my rigs.

Instead of a chest strap, I cut it off and use a bungee and snap to attach between the two chest points. Keeps it snug and lets it stretch (vs the standard nylon straps most come with). Because of the tighter fit, you can stuff all kinds of stuff in it with no issues.

When diving backplate/wing, I usually have my longhose wrapped around my neck/chest/under arm once and stuff the excess into my chest bungee strap. The backup reg goes under my arm and stuffed into the chest bungee.

When sidemount my short hose is on the right side (almost as if it was backmount), and gets the same treatment.. I just stuff it into the chest bungee strap.

never had that issue on any of my rigs.

Instead of a chest strap, I cut it off and use a bungee and snap to attach between the two chest points. Keeps it snug and lets it stretch (vs the standard nylon straps most come with). Because of the tighter fit, you can stuff all kinds of stuff in it with no issues.

When diving backplate/wing, I usually have my longhose wrapped around my neck/chest/under arm once and stuff the excess into my chest bungee strap. The backup reg goes under my arm and stuffed into the chest bungee.

When sidemount my short hose is on the right side (almost as if it was backmount), and gets the same treatment.. I just stuff it into the chest bungee strap.
I'm having a really hard time seeing this. Do you have a picture? This does not sound very standard at all. How did you come up with this configuration? Not the sidemount but the back mount.

I'm having a really hard time seeing this. Do you have a picture? This does not sound very standard at all. How did you come up with this configuration? Not the sidemount but the back mount.

I'm intrigued as well and would like to see a few pictures.

I can't say I have ever had a problem with my bungee backup (other than forgetting to put it on), but I'm always open to new ideas.

I just do it because it works for me and can quickly be grabbed and shoved in my mouth without any entanglement.

I will look through my old photos later, the dives photos I spot checked, I was still using a necklace, and then shortly after I started cave diving, so I quit back mounting... I may have a pic or two somewhere of this. I think the other reason I did this was because I don't dive sidemount with a necklace, so when I put my regs back together for single tank backmount, the necklace wasn't anywhere to be found..so I just started stuffing it there.

If I actually have the necklace available while openwater backmount, I will usually use it..but I keep foretting to dig it out when I swap configurations.

For my own convenience only (to make room), I would like to go to a 22" octo hose and necklace. If needed, I'd donate the primary and go myself to octo. I dive with insta -buddies often. In this case are there any cons?
I see virtually no 'cons', albeit with certain caveats. In fact, I see many, many pros. The primary caveats relate to hose length, second stage purge cover color, and communication.

The 'pros' are obvious:

1. In the unlikely event of an OOA situation, you are donating a second stage that you know is working - you have been breathing from it.
2. In the unlikely event of an OOA situation, the OOA diver does not have to search for the octo / alternate somewhere in the Bermuda Triangle, I mean the triangle created by your chin and the costal margins - you are in a position to actively donate a functioning second stage to them, instead of passively going into the 'hold up' position' and waiting for them to find the octo (if they are lucky).
3. In the unlikely event of an OOA situation, where the OOA diver does what some people might expect a stressed diver to do - grabs the second stage out of your mouth - you know exactly where your back-up second stage is, and you can quickly put that in your mouth.

The 'cons' are less challenging:

1. You are employing an approach that is not necessarily entirely consistent with how many OW student divers are taught to use an Alternate Second Stage. Therefore, a thorough pre-dive discussion, as part of the Pre-dive Safety Check with your buddy, is advisable.
2. You need to be sure that the length of the hose on the second stage that you donate is sufficient to allow for comfortable Alternate Air Source breathing.
3. You need to be sure that the length of the hose on the second stage that you place on a bungee necklace is sufficient to allow you to breath from it comfortably.
4. You need to dive with second stages that are both properly tuned, fully functional, and of comparable performance quality - i.e. no cheap, low performance, needlessly 'de-tuned', second stages on either hose.

I ordinarily dive with a 7 ft hose as my 'primary' - with a yellow purge cover on the second stage - and a 34" hose for my 'alternate', which is on a bungee necklace. I donate what is in my mouth in an OOA situation - which I have never experienced in 'real life' - and go to the second stage hanging on the bungee necklace.

I also have one reg set up with the 'standard' hose lengths - a 40" octo / alternate hose, and a 34" primary hose. I have put a bungee necklace on the primary, and I breath from the second stage on the longer hose - the second stage that is also on the yellow hose, and which has the yellow purge cover. That hose is a bit long, but it is not a problem (I can route it under my arm to decrease the entanglement /drag issues). The primary (on the bungee necklace) is on a hose that is long enough for me to easily put it in my mouth and breath. For a single cylinder reg configuration, 22" would be a bit short for me. It may not be for you, though. Bottom line, make sure the hose lengths are right for you.

I now demonstrate this configuration to OW students during their training course - as an example of something they may see - and I require my DM candidates to be actively familiar with it. Several university-based programs use this approach, and I think it makes a lot of sense. While I'm personally prefer a long hose for donation of the second stage to an OOA diver, the general principle is easily accommodated with 'standard' lengths.

Good for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom