Octo or Second stage !!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would like to throw my two cents werth in , And say the origin of the octo started when the breathing set up went from a double hose ,regulater, 1st stage . To the single hose w/ the 1 st stage and 2nd stage .As time and diving advaced the instrument console and alternate 2nd stage was added it looked like an octopus 's legs so came the term octo .Later the term was adopted to just meen the alternate 2nd stage. just a little history

This is not true. US Divers introduced the "octopus" as we now know if in 1973 (I have the catalog). Many, many, many US Divers single hose regulators were made before 1973, including the conshelf VI, conshelf XI, conshelf XII, deepstar I, deepstar II, Calypso I, Calypso II, Calypso J, Aquadiv, Hydrolung Supreme, etc. Double hose regulators did not cease to be produced by US Divers until 1973. The double hose and single hose were parallel chains of evolution, and there were single hose regulators in the US Divers catalog earlier than 1961.

If you need any factual information I can forward you actual scanned copies of any US Divers catalog from 1960-1975.

The octopus was originally a marketing idea, and a great one at that.
I think you are both saying more or less the same thing. He was speaking to the derivation of the term. When you took a normal first stage like a Conshelf XII or Scubapro Mk 2 or 3 with the primary regulator and SPG hose attached, then added an additional second stage, it looked a lot like an octopus with "legs" sticking out from the central body and it looked even more octo like when you added an inflator hose on regs with 3 LP ports like the Conshelf XIV.

I do agree with you however that single and double hose regs overlapped for at least 15 years and were parrallel developments. I think the "octo" and the wider use of the SPG, which were a little more difficult to accomodate with a double hose had a lot to do with their demise.

I wonder what would have happened if something like the Phoenix nozzle had been around then that would have allowed the easy installation of an SPG and low pressure accesories?

I think you are both saying more or less the same thing. He was speaking to the derivation of the term. When you took a normal first stage like a Conshelf XII or Scubapro Mk 2 or 3 with the primary regulator and SPG hose attached, then added an additional second stage, it looked a lot like an octopus with "legs" sticking out from the central body and it looked even more octo like when you added an inflator hose on regs with 3 LP ports like the Conshelf XIV.

I do agree with you however that single and double hose regs overlapped for at least 15 years and were parrallel developments. I think the "octo" and the wider use of the SPG, which were a little more difficult to accomodate with a double hose had a lot to do with their demise.

I wonder what would have happened if something like the Phoenix nozzle had been around then that would have allowed the easy installation of an SPG and low pressure accesories?

I think if we had something like the phoenix, regs would look a lot different today! BTW, thanks for translating for me :lotsalove:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom