October 04 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShakaZulu:
Those pictures are incredible...........how do you do it???

I just follow Sean and take pictures of the stuff he sees.

BTW Sean,
Great Kelp shots last weekend. nice catch on the sunrays.

See ya all Saturday. I got the weekend off so I will be there for sure.

Terry

Date: 10/29/04
Dive Location: Point Dume Pinnacles, Malibu
Time: 12:15 PM
Bottom Time: 58 min
Max Depth: 55 ft
Vis: 20+ ft
Wave height: 2-3 ft
Surface Temp: 64
Tide information: high tide (10AM) going back out
Current: strong reverse current on swim out (east to west)

Roland and I had a great dive at the pinnacles today. Our long surface swim was longer than expected as there was a strong reverse current, and my ankle had a slight cramp so I couldn't kick hard. I even got a tow from a kayak for a few minutes to rest it! At the pinnacles we dropped down into 20 feet of water, a strong current, a scorpionfish, and a moray eel. What a start! At deeper depths the current let up and it was smooth diving with great vis. A couple sea lions kept us company part of the time. We saw the usual horn sharks, bony suspects, and sea slugs. The current assisted us on our swim back over the sand-dollar-fields-of-plenty. A nice shower was a good end to the dive.

Scott

*** WRINKLES DIVES ***
Date: 30 October 2004
Dive Location: La Jolla Shores, Main Wall
Time: 7:20 AM
Bottom Time: 41 min
Max Depth: 88 feet
Vis: 10-15 feet

Swam out to the main wall, went south; hung out with an oceanic whitefish; saw many thornback rays and a butterfly ray on the way in. Dive buddy was my fiancee, Emily. That canyon wall is steep! The sea pens were fiesty.

Dive 2:
Time: 9:30AM
Bottom Time: 46 min
Max Depth: 66 feet
Vis: 10-12 feet

Swam out to the main wall, went north (the better direction). Dive buddy was Rebecca. Saw hundreds of blue-banded gobies, several octopus, a few barred sand bass. Mucho sand dollars!

Dive 3:
Time: 3:35 PM
Bottom Time: 53 min
Max Depth: 45 feet
Vis: 5-9 feet, poor

Dive buddies: Gomer piles and his brother Scott. Saw many friendly (hungry?) sheephead, garibaldi, other usual suspects (when I could see). Guys, thanks for bringing me along on the dive.
-----------
Emily and I had a wonderful time at the wrinkles dive event, it was great meeting every one - I hope to see everyone soon. Let me know if anyone wants to dive some LA county sites.
- Scott

Date: 30 Oct 04 WRINKLES DIVE
Dive Location: VAllecitos Point
Time: 07:44 AM
Bottom Time: 44:20
Max Depth: 94 FSW
Vis: 10-15, better in some spots
Wave height: 1 foot or so.
Temp at depth: 64 SUUNTO Degrees
Surface Temp: 64 SUUNTO Degrees
Tide information: LOW 4:60 AM 2.2 Ft 5:40 PM 0.0 Feet HIGH 10:23 AM 5.9 Ft
Comments:
Wrinkles Dive, wow, what a crowd and a great dive. Went out with Wrinkles and gang to tour the South Wall. It certainly is a wall. We dropped down right onto the edge of the wall and toured around. Spotted pipe fish, lobsters, large Sheepshead, gobies, crab etc.

Date: 30 Oct 04 WRINKLES DIVE
Dive Location: Way North Wall LaJolla Canyon
Time: 11:13 AM
Bottom Time: 60:50
Max Depth: 94 FSW
Vis: 10-15, better in some spots
Wave height: 1 foot or so.
Temp at depth: 64 SUUNTO Degrees
Surface Temp: 64 SUUNTO Degrees
Tide information: LOW 4:60 AM 2.2 Ft 5:40 PM 0.0 Feet HIGH 10:23 AM 5.9 Ft
Comments: Wrinkles dive. Swam out to the north wall, across the canyon to the far wall. Dropped down right on the edge. Is that portable depth finder neat or what? Saw a lot more life here than at the South wall. Lots of small fish and bigger ones too.

I had signaled I was my buddies when I had 4 minutes of NDL on the first dive. As we ascended I got more bottom time and I felt like I had ended the dive too soon. I dive a Cobra with it set on P2 (Super Chicken :chicken: ). So this time I waited until I had 2 minutes of NDL left before I signaled my dive buddies. We started our swim back and our ascent up immediately. Taking our time and coming up real slow.

Well it appears I waited too long and ascended too slow, becaus as we ascended instead of getting more bottom time, I got more ascent time. Bottom line, my computer was telling me I had 19 minutes of ascent time (which includes the 3minute safety stop and ascent at 30 feet a minute and any deco obligation). Unfortunately it was also telling me I had 17 minutes of air time left. :11: So I got to spend 20 minutes between 20-10 feet off gassing as we swam in. When we hit the 10 foot mark, indicated by my head digging into the sand at 10 feet as I still had a 10 Foot Ceiling on my dive and 9 minutes of deco to do. I had to stop and wait on the clock for 9 long minutes with a computer telling me the last 2 minutes were going to be rather long without air! :scared: I certainly got to check my weighting as I sat there at 10 feet. I should have gone back to 15 feet and made it easier on myself. My dive buddies stayed right with me. But at the end they were keeping an eye on me from the surface due to their own air or bottom time situations. Of course, we all know the SUUNTO has lots of safety margin built in and the zero air time remaining is calculated to leave you enough for a safety stop. So when my remaining air time hit 0 minutes left, I still had 500 PSI in the tank. My remainig air also recalculates based on what I am doing, so the remaining air time hit zero with a little over 1 minute of safety (deco) stop remaining. So there I sat for 1 minute using my 500 PSI from the safety bank and surfaced with 490 PSI in the tank. When the timer hit zero on the safety stop I waited a little bit and then took 30 seconds to surface the last 10 feet. Sometimes it pays to be a conservative breather.

This was one not one of my better executed dives and one of those circumstances that should not have happened and entirely my fault. It is also nice to know your dive buddies will stay with you in a pinch and I had picked well on this dive 3 great buddies. I elected to sit out the next dive and eventually called it a day as all the remaining planned dives were also to 90-100 FSW and my bottom time would be short due to the previous days dives. Still not a bad day of diving and 60:50 minutes on an AL80 tank to 94 feet is not a bad dive.

Here are the dives.

Date: 10/30
Dive Location: Vallecitos Point
Time: 0749
Bottom Time: 46:15
Max Depth: 88ft
Vis: 10-15
Wave height: 1-2 no real power
Temp at depth: 64
Comments: John, Anna, Melvin and I geared up in the chilly morning and headed into the canyon. Surface waves were small and little hindrance. We made the swim out the canyon edge using John's trusty depth gauge. Dropped in through the morning soft light and found visibility at the bottom to be around 10-15ft. We explored along cliff face and found the usual assortment of animals; scorpion fish, red octopus, a smattering of Nudibranchs, gobies, shrimp and more. On the return swim we crossed the sand dollar beds and found a couple pipe-fish and halibut. It truly was a nice start to the day.

Dive Location: Way North Wall
Time: 11:12a
Bottom Time:
Max Depth: 91ft
Vis: 10-15 with some 20ft
Wave height: 1-2 ft
Temp at depth: 64
Comments: All rested and full of chips and water we geared up again and mentally prepared ourselves for the second dive and the looooong swim out to the way north wall. After much kicking along the flat seas we arrived at the drop in point. Again John A. and his trusted gauge proved invaluable. We dropped in and descended to 70ft and turned west. We missed the cliff face by about 100ft but short swim and there it was. This part of the wall runs west along the edge of the canyon and is really amazing and the density of life never disappoints. Brittle stars wave as we pass by and rockfish of many varieties perch on the edge of the abyss and watch us as we pass. As we rounded the point we came across a large male sheepshead and his harem of ladies. All too soon it was time to turn east and head back to the beach for some sun and much needed BBQ. For those who haven't been to this site it can seem a little strange. Due to the topography the North wall actually runs east/west here and it makes a wide sweeping arc back on itself. The return swim requires crossing back across the peninsula and out over open water. You have to trust your compass as the bottom drops away beneath you. This gives the eerie sensation of swimming out to sea. Good buoyancy is the key here. Eventually the bottom reappears and the sand extends as far as you can see. Stingrays and halibut, moon snails and sand dollars all entertain the returning divers. We surfaced in 5 ft of water right at our entry point and grinning we headed back to our group to swap stories and devour burgers.

Dive Location: Somewhere on the back side of the north wall
Time: 7:44p
Bottom Time: 53:39
Max Depth: 79 ft
Vis: 15-20
Wave height: knee to chest high
Temp at depth: 63
Surface Temp: 61
Comments: This was my third dive of the day and many others 4th. It was dark and chilly as we suited up. Many of our merry band had said good bye and headed home. Night diving is what La Jolla Shores is all about so those of us that stayed were in for a treat. Dive Buddy Sean lead us straight and true and we dropped in mere feet from the edge of the wall. Grouping in pairs we started the exploration west. The relief on this wall is dramatic and the entire cliff face is pocked with holes and crevasses. Blacksmith and Salima filled many of the holes. Scorpion fish and cabezon were in abundance. Two spotted and red octopus seemed to be everywhere. Sean and Paul discovered a feisty sheep crab that was in no way afraid of Sean and his camera and nearly had a piece of it at one point. Moving along the wall we discovered a very large Berthella Strongi nudibranch. Up above the wall on the sloping sand we found it to be sting ray city. In pairs and single the sat, swam and flew about on the hunt. Was it for food or romance they were searching for? We did not ask. A rather large thornback ray shared a depression with a sting ray. They looked quite the odd pair gazing out over the dark canyon at a lovely tube anemone. Just another Saturday night at home staring at the tube. :)

Reaching the end of our bottom time we turned back east and just as we left the canyon edge behind we found a small hornshark, very pale with tiny dots. Very cute and fearless......or asleep.

As we again crossed the sand we found the fields of sand dollars and swimming crabs, pipe fish and more. In the shallows we were treated by a visit of two small bat rays and then in just 4 feet of water a large halibut watched as we prepared to stand and stroll out.

At the surface the stars were out and the moon shined down and we all laughed and smiled as we made our way back to the cars to change, pack and head home.

What a great day of fun, friends, food and diving. Thank you everyone who came and more thanks to those to helped coordinate this and see it through.

Until next time.

Dive safe.
Terry

Date: 10/30/04
Dive Location: Leo Carrillo (south beach), Malibu
Time: 12:05 PM
Bottom Time: 42 min
Max Depth: 28 ft
Vis: 15-20 ft
Wave height: 2 ft
Tide information: high tide (9:45AM) going back out
Surge: decent surge throughout the dive

Emily and I had a wonderful dive off the south beach of Leo, entering in the sandy cove at the bottom of the stairs at the south beach. Swam out through crystal clear waters, and descended onto a large octopus in the open, on the ground, completely spread out, and very playful. He let us stroke him for a few minutes and he gave us a few tentacle wraps before slowly swimming off. Saw all the usual suspects, beautiful rock formations, lush kelp forests, and a few clear, nasty box jellies. Exited near the surfers on the east end of the south beach, I really don't recommend anyone exit here, it sucks, much better to swim west around the large rock in the water and exit at the sandy part of the beach.

Scott

divinman:
Here are the dives.

What a great day of fun, friends, food and diving. Thank you everyone who came and more thanks to those to helped coordinate this and see it through.

Until next time.

Dive safe.
Terry

Terry, thanks for the dive report - it was good reading. Makes me want to go back to San Diego soon.. Scott

10/23/04
Dive Location: Deer Creek, Ventura
Time: 9:00 am
Bottom Time: 62 min
Max Depth: 44 ft
Vis: 15-20 ft
Wave height: 2 -3ft
Tide information: ??
Surge: yup

Maciek, Jon, Susan, Frank and I, some shooting pics, some bagging game. Unfortunately, Jim lost a fin had to abort. Nice surf but easy intervals. Susan bagged a lobster, dutifully checked by F&G afterwards. Jon bagged some trash - way to go.

3 bat rays, school of anchovies, and buzzed by a sea lion. Missed the dolphins that cruised by after we got out.

Nice way to spend a morning

Chris

Date: 10/30 Dive #1
Dive Location: North Wall and Way-North Wall
Time: 7:56p
Bottom Time: 37:00
Max Depth: 100 ft
Surface Temp: 63
Comments: Simon, Paul, Ryan and I scootered out to the North Wall using our snorkles. Using the depth finder and lining up south of the main lifeguard tower, we crossed the canyon edge and kicked over the penunsula in 65 feet of water. We dropped down and headed west along the edge of the canyon. we saw some nice structure on the wall with some serious sand on the peninsula. After 5 minues we crossed over the peninsula to the way-north wall and headed east. We illuminated the holes and cruised the canyon walls, sometimes just kicking enjoying the beauty. We saw several octopus, rockfish, a resident giant male Sheephead, shrimp, California halubut, and more. We came to the turn around for the La Jolla Canyon and elected to return home and vectored our scooters towards the beach.

Date: 10/30 Dive #2 Pictures start here
Dive Location:
Time: 12:40p
Bottom Time: 45:00
Max Depth: 89 ft
Comments: Paul, Simon, and I headed out with some Scubaboard.com guys to check out this North Wall. We kicked out to the usual spot, and found the edge of the canyon wall. We kicked over to the peninsula and dropped down in 62 feet of water. We kicked south and headed west exploring the end of the peninsula. Eventually the scructure turned more sandy so we headed back east at a litte deeper depth. We explored back to North Wall/East wall transition and swam together to the beach with Ice heading up a few minutes before us.

Date: 10/30 Dive #3
Dive Location: Secret Garden
Time: 4:20pm
Bottom Time: 42:40
Max Depth: 106 ft
Vis: 15-20 feet
Comments: The Wrinkles Dive crew kicked out to the Secret Garden line-ups and dropped down into 58 feet of water. We were on a canyon ledge and saw the draw downward and followed it's cracks to 100ish and headed south to the secret garden. We saw incredible gorgonains and sea fans in some great orange, yellow, and red colors. We saw some nudis, a Cabazon, tube-dwelling anenomies, a nice California halibut, a clam shell swimming across the sand. We then headed up to a ledge which had some structure at around 58 feet. We saw a few octopus,a Blenny and nice Sarcastic Fringehead I could have seen many times at this same spot.

Date: 10/30 Dive #4
Dive Location: North Wall
Time: 7:56p
Bottom Time: 41:40
Max Depth: 84 ft
Vis: 15-20 feet
Temp at depth: 59

Same dive as Divinman. Paul and I teamed up with his light cannon and photographed a few things. Sadly my camera was out of juice, so I took fewer pictures. It was a critter rich dive, with some great creatures to be seen.

Pictures: http://www.scubapost.net/gallery/wrinkles10312004

Thank You to everyone who participated, and especially for those who organized and contributed to the event! I hope nobody was overburdened. I look forward to the next event.

Date: 10/31
Dive Location: Fringehead City
Time: 7:00am
Bottom Time: 46
Max Depth: 105 ft
Vis: 15-20
Temp at depth: 61
Surface Temp: 65
Comments: Simon and I met at the Shores to do another dive – 3 the day before just wasn’t enough I guess! We geared up and headed out. Problem was that we couldn’t see the white boxy house because the sun was so bright! We got where we thought we would get to the secret garden and then check out Fringehead city. We dropped in about 35 feet of water and headed west looking for a drop off. Simon saw a large horn shark – but I didn’t see it. We went down to about 100 feet and decided to swing south east since all we were seeing was sand! We ended up at Fringehead city and saw the regular inhabitants. We hung out for awhile and then headed back in where we encountered a few classes doing there check off dives. Simon’s wife was in one of the classes at the Shores today – but we didn’t find her under water. Over all it was – as always – a great way to start off a day!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom