Octopus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread sure went through some he11 and caused some commotion. I say eat it if you can catch it. I would find the smallish ones if you could. I gagged on one at the Sierra Nevada Brewery's restaurant when they served it as sushi, I think they are much better cooked.

Have you guys tried Tako Poke? Its very popular in Hawaii and tastes xint!

For those that have not tried it,its made with octopus,seseme oil,green onion,a bit of soy sauce,and sometimes has tomato,and round onion. I don't remember the whole receipe.

Whats funny is one time on a night dive I saw a small octopus about the size of your palm on the back of a lobster that was running accross the sand and I caught up to the lobster and took the octopus off its back and let the octopus and lobster go since they were both small.

If you're eatin' octopus, just be dang sure you know where the venom glands are! All octopods have 'em.

oh god, this thread got revived, this is almost worse than the (purposely ambiguous) thread referring to the technique used by a guy underwater to solve digestive problems

Chebby:
Wow, I never knew octos have venom, can they bite and kill a human?

If you're ever in the Indo Pacific and happen to see a little octo with blue rings, don't pick him up and try to bite his head. If he bites you first, you're dead.

I gagged on one at the Sierra Nevada Brewery's restaurant when they served it as sushi, I think they are much better cooked.
It's rare to serve octopus raw even at sushi restaurants.

It's my understanding that octopus have a slimey membrane that needs to be thoroughly cleaned (rubbed down with salt and lots of elbow grease). If not, it's supposed to smell and taste terrible. I'm not a chef...but I watch a lot of cooking shows :wink:

Have y'all had baby octopus? Very common at Japanese and Greek restaurants. I don't know how they're harvested, but they're tasty!

Tried them in one place and they tasted like rubber. But tried them in another restaurant and it was good because they marinated it in something first.

Chaseh:
Have y'all had baby octopus? Very common at Japanese and Greek restaurants. I don't know how they're harvested, but they're tasty!

FengShui:
Has anybody here ever hunted Octopus? We live in Southern California, and we commonly see Octopus on our shore dives. I'd love to grab one and bring it home to eat, but I can't find any information on whether the california octopuses are edible and if so, which parts are safe to eat. I've had octopus many times in sushi restaurants and in Japan, so I know I like it, but I'd like to be sure I can eat one that I grab before I go for it.

--Ted

We found a quite large one last year while abalone diving. My uncle ate it and said that it was delicious. I am unsure of how he prepared it, but I am sure if you grab one...you will be able to get a recipe. As for me, I would love to get some. I also eat it at sushi places and love it. I think that as long as you eat everything you take and follow any regulations, it is perectly fine to hunt these awsome creatures. Happy diving and good luck.

-Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom