Odd travel wing question ... and wing pos. adjustment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Schwob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
1.)
I am in the process of setting up and checking out my wife’s new (bought used) transpac XT+ travelwing BCD for tomorrow’s pool test dive. What has me stumped a little is that this particular dive rite travel wing has both, the dump valve as well as the inflator port on the same side of the wing. While we may try it both ways, in this case, what would the wisdom of those more seasoned suggest:
Dump and inflator elbow towards the tank side of things ( and risk reaching trouble to the dump if the wing folds up a bit)?
Or both towards the diver side of things (it’s a biggish elbow on an XS woman... we,ll see...)???
2.) And my son is getting a cobbled together W&BP. The wing is not odd... but... so there are three upper and three lower holes for (starting with plastic) bolts to mount the wing. It’s a hog 23l wing with built in “channels” acting as STA. The BP is bought used. No idea what it is, Alu, bent up bottom corners. Holes line up. The harness webbing center grommet lines up with the bottom of the three top holes. The webbing blocks the middle hole. So I could mount the wing lining up with the bottom or the top hole.... The questions:

2a.) Dump valve towards diver and inflator port towards tank side - right? And if I do that, with the wing lined up with the bottom holes, the edge of the dump valve would still hit the BP’s side edge near bottom corner if something made it to do that. And if I mount the wing higher it would hit the side of the BP. No issue really (as nothing really causes impact that way, in the water the wing will fold towards the tank...)- right?

2b.) Would it make sense to play with mounting the wing higher or lower on the BP for trying to adjust trim... in hopes of maybe not needing weight on the top cam band?

This thread is worthless without pictures! :poke:

:rofl3:

1.)
I am in the process of setting up and checking out my wife’s new (bought used) transpac XT+ travelwing BCD for tomorrow’s pool test dive. What has me stumped a little is that this particular dive rite travel wing has both, the dump valve as well as the inflator port on the same side of the wing. While we may try it both ways, in this case, what would the wisdom of those more seasoned suggest:

I have two wings and, if I understand correctly what you are saying, they have the inflator and the dump valve on the same side. The inflator hose goes from behind and over your left shoulder. The dump valve is accessible with my right hand (on both of these) at the bottom.

I gotta run but I'll look at the rest later.

I have two wings and, if I understand correctly what you are saying, they have the inflator and the dump valve on the same side. The inflator hose goes from behind and over your left shoulder. The dump valve is accessible with my right hand (on both of these) at the bottom.

I gotta run but I'll look at the rest later.
Thanks.
Got the general setup, just got thrown for a loop about the dump and the inflator port being on the same side... (usually I see them on opposite sides). So in this case I have them both on the tank side of things and yes, the hose comes over the top on the left then and “big duh !!!" If I turned the wing over instead, the inflator hose would be on the right side. ... It took your reply for me to catch up with the obvious...

Pic below in reply to @Marie13 :
Travel-XT_BC5100_Front-View-1-1-1.jpg

Yeah, that describes me very well... although you may not have meant it that way...

Hah! No, I meant the placement of the butt dump on the "backside" of the wig.

The elbow is on the rear (tank side) and the inflator comes over the top. The rear dump is on the front facing the diver. All my wings are this way (and my wife's) The exception being my SM rig where the dumps are on teh rear (side away from diver)

Depending on the elbow you may find that the inflator hose on your wing has a pull dump.

The elbow is on the rear (tank side) and the inflator comes over the top. The rear dump is on the front facing the diver. All my wings are this way (and my wife's) The exception being my SM rig where the dumps are on teh rear (side away from diver)

Depending on the elbow you may find that the inflator hose on your wing has a pull dump.
I believe this one has a pull dump, but elbow and butt dump definitely are on the same side...
And (unless another inflator fits...) it looks like that test dive tomorrow will be with manual inflating only... Just noticed that the Atomic SSI second stage inflator combo that is mounted to it has a larger sized nipple that does not fit our inflator hoses... dang...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom