Oddest questions you've heard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa:
"I'll have to get my passport ready"

I've had folks ask if they need a passport for travel to and from Hawaii from the U.S.

Of Course the mission agency I work for had Hawaii classified as a foriegn field until the late 70's I believe.

Occasionally I will work the gate going onto the base at Pearl Harbor (not the memorial). Without fail, every 5th car is a tourist asking for directions to the memorial along with directions to other parts of the Island. My favorite was for directions to the Polynesian Cultural Center.

Funny how I got that confused with directions to Halawa Correctional Center.

Well, these come from an island a bit further east, but I'm sure my friends in Hawaii will understand:

1. Is the island completely surrounded by water?
2. Is there water on the otherside of the island?
3. Is the island attached to the bottom?
4. Can you swim (or dive) under the island?
5. Do you take American money?
6. What time does the 4:00 PM boat leave?

I won't even begin to suggest that all these questions are asked by blondes (of both genders) from the mainland, but we ARE closest to LA.

It doesn't help that the military considers my billet as being an overseas billet (job).

Also, I can't remember which magazine (I think it was Dive Training), but all the information written up about Hawaii was as if it were a foriegn country (language, currency, electricity)

drbill - LOL - those are great!

I have a friend that would take visitors to the top of Haleakala (10,023 ft elevation) and in a very serious tone point out that this was the only place in the world where you could see both the Pacific and Atlantic oceans at the same time ... they nearly always believed her too...

On the North Shore one weekend, a tourist asked my buddy "how deep is it out there?"
My friend held up his hand with thumb and forefinger indicating about an inch and replied, "well, it starts at about this deep and then gets deeper from there."

On another occasion, a friend was watching the sunset and was asked..."what direction is that?" while the visitor pointed toward the sun. Does the sun set in directions other than west in other parts of the world?

Some tourists once came out of the water one day after snorkeling and one of them said, "wow, that was great! it's just like being in an aquarium! " My friend and I just looked at each other. (?!?!?)

Similarly to an above post, when my brother lived in Alaska, he was down on the coast near one of the sounds one day and was asked what the elevation was at that location. Ahh, I'm guessing maybe about sea level..?? Here's your sign.

we had a visitor ask us where the bridge to Maui was (we were diving by the blowhole) so she could just drive there. She must have went through Pearl Harbor gate and got directions from Fishboy.

Dr Bill, I have one just for you!

before I got the place on Catalina, it was my first trip over and I had my two little kids in the car...(6 mos, 2 yrs old) So, somehow I drove my car on the ferry to Balboa island and drove off like 5 minutes later, on the other side. Guess what? I said "hey kids, here we are...Catalina!"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom