Oddest questions you've heard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, these are actually diver questions, but they WERE tourists here on Guam....
1) when setting up gear for a beginner (intro diver) she asked "can you use these tanks again?" No, we just run up to K-mart & buy a new one every time we want to dive.

2) Having another intro diver practice breathing from a regulator, BEFORE putting her face in the water...."I have a question...how do you keep water out of your nose?" Umm, don't worry, I'll give you a mask when it's time to put your face in the water.

The sea level and money questions get asked a lot here, Alaska here too. It's always greeat fun to tell the tourests to go to the bank to exchange for Alaskan money. I once had a guy ask me if bears were a problem while snow machining? Guess he didn't know they sleep in the winter.
On the Big Isle, True Jeff Foxworthy material, Eating KFC at a dining area that had a bunch of little places to chose from, KFC was at the other end of the building, guy asks me where I got the KFC. Bout choked trying not to blurt out, at Burger King across the street, heres your sign!" I was nice though. My boss about wet himself when the guy walked away and he asked me why I was so red....
Im sure I have some much better questions that have been asked of me, I'll think on it a spell and get back to you.

ch0ppersrule:
we had a visitor ask us where the bridge to Maui was (we were diving by the blowhole) so she could just drive there. She must have went through Pearl Harbor gate and got directions from Fishboy.
Couldn't have been me... unless they missed the turn to Ewa.

Iruka:
Well, these are actually diver questions, but they WERE tourists here on Guam....
1) when setting up gear for a beginner (intro diver) she asked "can you use these tanks again?" No, we just run up to K-mart & buy a new one every time we want to dive.

2) Having another intro diver practice breathing from a regulator, BEFORE putting her face in the water...."I have a question...how do you keep water out of your nose?" Umm, don't worry, I'll give you a mask when it's time to put your face in the water.

You ever notice on cartoons that they never draw the nosepiece of the mask? Even when I wasn't a diver I had some idea of what a mask was.

Pretty much the weirdest question was a co-worker doing Japanese intro dives with me in Kaneohe Bay who once day asked me what I did in World War II. We all looked at him - even the Marines out there with us had a better sense of time than this guy did.
It's kinda easy to write him off as a know-nothing scunnion head, except while he was a male stripper at Fusions in Waikiki, he met a guy who put his name on the title to a house in Aina Haina - not that far from where Catherine reigns now.
He swore up and down that he wasn't gay either.

Though not truly dive related, I had been asked by a young man (Early 20's) while at work (mind you, with a wife and a kid)
This is kinda hard to explain.... He lived in California his whole life in Pittsburgh/Antioch area, next to the bay (San
Pablo Bay) HIS WHOLE frigging life!!!! We are working high up in a refinery right on the water, and he asked me the two most stupid questions I had ever heard, seeing as it was near where he grew up.
His questions were:
1 what is all that water out there?
and 2, what are all those boats out there doing?
......??????
I really thought he was joking, but he was REAL!!! he had no idea that "all that water" was the San Francisco bay, or that "all those boats" were ferries!! We laughed about that for days afterwards, and he LIVED there to boot!!! How could you not know that? after living there your whole friggin' life???Man.. I got to say those young kids who know it all, are fun sometimes.
One other that seemed to come up when I was in a previous occupation, was "what caused the fire?"
Humm... Let me think... Heat maybe?

Not quite diving related (other than that I do sometimes dive from it), my other hobby is racing sailboats. One of my favorite races is the annual race from Marina Del Rey to San Diego, which I've won a handfull of times. Its a 110 mile sail. People ask how long it takes and what we do at night. For Pete's sake its a sailboat; and how fast it goes is dependent on how much wind there is. We take it back to the slip and put it away at night. Here's your sign.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom