Off Topic birth control pills question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well from my experience it really depends on how you react to certain pills. The first brand of BC pills I took I didn't have any weight gains problems with it but I was always feeling nauseated and had headaches all the time. The second brand I took I gained a lot of weight but had no headaches etc.. I've stopped taking it and I'm looking for something that doesn't give me any side effects what so ever. Sadly it's all trial and error. By the way I did lose the weight slowly after I quit taking the pill. It took a couple of months but at least in my case it went away.

MissAmberDiva:
Has anyone on B.C. pills experienced weight gain and did the weight drop off when you stopped them?
I recently quit taking them. They are horrible!:(
I hated taking them and I have retention and weight gain and just wondered if the added weight would go away quickly or am I going to have to add more to my already strenuous workouts??!?!

Hey there..
I used to take B.C pills and they really got to me,I also gained weight whilst on them,not only that but I was really cautious about taking them as I didn´t want to fall pregnant..untill the day came when I knew things weren´t right..I was pregnant. I had been to see my Dr for a case of tonselitus,he had prescribed me some antibiotics..I had asked him he they were ok to take with the pill and I was told that they wouldn´t affect the pill at all.
Last October I had the Mirena Coil and let me tell you..if you suffer from heavy periods..or bad pains go for it!! I really reccomend it,it takes a while to settle into your system,mine has only in the last month really settled down,but i don´t have heavy periods and the pains are very rare. :wink:

One of the most common complaints from women using coils is the heavy periods and painful periods so if you've found one that has the opposite effect, that's good.

Nothing worse than misprescription and/or careless doctors.

Caution and good research is way to go - don't we all know it.

kulot:
Well from my experience it really depends on how you react to certain pills. The first brand of BC pills I took I didn't have any weight gains problems with it but I was always feeling nauseated and had headaches all the time. The second brand I took I gained a lot of weight but had no headaches etc.. I've stopped taking it and I'm looking for something that doesn't give me any side effects what so ever. Sadly it's all trial and error. By the way I did lose the weight slowly after I quit taking the pill. It took a couple of months but at least in my case it went away.

I have 2 boys and I decided to hell with the pills and all the other side effects and had a tubal ligation done over christmas break. I'm sooo glad that I did it but I decided a permanent solution after I had two kids (lousy pregnancies... BLAH... Great kids though :) and I don't want to be pregnant again.

Whomever is taking the Depo, please get off of it or don't even bother with it at all. It has been linked to Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) and infertility (took me a devil of a time to get pregnant) Side effects are breakthough bleeding (as if it ever stopped... BLAH) and if you start getting symptoms of PCOS it could be as mild as bad acne to weight gain to extra hair in places that it has no business growing... (happened to a few people I know)

Oh yeah, and it does take about 3 mos for a person's body to self regulate after stopping BCPills.

As a long-term Depo user I have to say that I couldn't be happier with my choice. No terrible side-effects, no spotting, no troubles. I am happy, healthy and strong. Been on it for nine years (just did the math, I was short in my estimate earlier), FWIW.

Each woman needs to decide for herself what works and what doesn't.

There are many side-effects to many birth control options and only YOU can decide what works for you. Do not be scared by horror stories, I've seen them from every form of contraception - many of those who have positive reactions & results don't take the time to let others know usually. The old saying holds: "Bad news travels faster" and gets more airplay.

Listen to your body, discuss options with your doctor, do your own research and weigh the validity of the information you find. Then consider things in your own terms. No one else can tell you what to do or what is "right".

alcina:
As a long-term Depo user I have to say that I couldn't be happier with my choice. No terrible side-effects, no spotting, no troubles. I am happy, healthy and strong. Been on it for nine years (just did the math, I was short in my estimate earlier), FWIW.
Listen to your body, discuss options with your doctor, do your own research and weigh the validity of the information you find. Then consider things in your own terms. No one else can tell you what to do or what is "right".

WOW That is great that it is working for you. The premise is definite wonderful... No monthly's etc. etc... It definitely didn't work for me or every woman that I know personally who took it. But hey, you are proof that just because it didn't work for me and others I know doesn't mean that it won't work for someone else.

It is so important for a woman to make an informed decision about their birth control. Just because a doctor or a friend says that it is the "best" or not doesn't mean that it'll be right for you.

Although I was early pre-menopause, I was still considered "too old" to continue using birth control. I found the IUD to be an effective alternative.

As with most women, for the first month or so I experienced heavier periods, but after that, there were no problems.

Of course now that I'm in menopause, BC & periods are no longer an issue. :wink:

I'm sure I'll be menopausal by the time I get it figured out.

Crazy mood swings with pills (tho loved the nice skin with ortho)
Depo provera worked as the libido went negative, crazy side effects
The patch made my tongue swell 3 times it's normal size..again, effective at preventing anything remotely romantic happening..

what fun we women have!!!

opiniongirl:
what fun we women have!!!

Ain't it the truth!

Of course non of this would be an issue if it were the MEN that got pregnant! There would have been a fast, easy, to use BC method that had NO side effects or in fact made you MORE healthy. :froggy:

SubMariner:
Ain't it the truth!

Of course non of this would be an issue if it were the MEN that got pregnant! There would have been a fast, easy, to use BC method that had NO side effects or in fact made you MORE healthy. :froggy:

Wasn't there a company that actually made a BC Pill for men? or was that one of those urban myths?

Back
Top Bottom