Offshore Pensacola Dive Report 9/10/2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hetland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Got an early start with TedFireDiver, Recharge and MrXRay Saturday and headed out about 25 miles looking to verify some numbers on what was supposed to be some limestone ledges. Ted and Larry made two very short dives on what amounted to nothing. They did report 83 degree water from top to bottom, and 100ft viz down to 100fsw. One of their drops was in excess of 100ft, but the viz below that depth was zero. We were thinking there might be a spring in the area pumping silt.

After relocating, Barry and I splashed on a spot further inshore. Again, no thermocline, but viz dropped to 25ft or so. Barry shot a few fish, and I looked for stuff to shoot with my camera. I had a 6ft sandbar shark come within 5ft or so, but I couldn't get switched over to video in time to shoot him, and he never reappeared. I did find a nudibranch (Florida regal sea goddess I think). She was on the underside of a pipe, and appeared at first to just be a shadow, but something told me to take a second look, and I'm glad I did.

Ted and Larry dropped on the same spot and found where the flounder had been hiding. Barry and I decided to do our second dive on the same spot, and we added more flounder to the ice chest. Viz on our second dive opened up a bit to perhaps 35ft.

Pics:
reticulatemoray.jpg

floridaregalseagoddess.jpg

floridaregalseagoddess2.jpg

IMG_3126a.jpg

IMG_3128a.jpg

I went to Alabama last weekend to visit the folks, had hoped to get a beach dive in to grab some much dreamed upon flounder....

Stupid tropical storm...

I went to Alabama last weekend to visit the folks, had hoped to get a beach dive in to grab some much dreamed upon flounder....

You should see some flounder at Vortoberfest :D

Stupid tropical storm...

About 2 miles offshore, you can see the line where the Gulf waters turn a coffeeish shade of brown. I abandoned my Sunday crab-grab plans the second I saw it.....

Great day off shore ,seas and weather were perfect,viz down past 100 ft. down to 125 ft. was 2ft. at best on our first dive.Second dive of the day viz was 50 ft. but did not locate any natural bottom,both dives were new areas we had not dove before just out looking for new locations to dive.Third dive found the flounder and managed to bag three before I ran out of bottom time.Nice warm temps, no themocline noted .:zap:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom