Oh wonderful. An online tech course.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

algorithm once bubbled...
Hello

I think it may work for academics, but you still need the visable instructor with you while doing your dives. I can't imaging a tech course of any calibre with out a real person to guide you.I strongly believe that TDI and IANTD in the future will all be dissolved by PADI and reprogramed and or shut down. Lets face the facts fellow divers, I get sick to my stomach every time I hear the word PADI when its associated with Teck diving but I'm also realistic when I see they've put together a fantastic tecWreck program and its inevitable they will be the number one association. My problem with PADI is were there getting the instructors good enough to teach TecWreck, especialy in cold water areas.

Algorithm :bonk:

I don't think they suggested that dives were done without an instructor-even THEY couldn't be THAT stupid!:mean:

Hello

I think it may work for academics, but you still need the visable instructor with you while doing your dives. I can't imaging a tech course of any calibre with out a real person to guide you.I strongly believe that TDI and IANTD in the future will all be dissolved by PADI and reprogramed and or shut down. Lets face the facts fellow divers, I get sick to my stomach every time I hear the word PADI when its associated with Teck diving but I'm also realistic when I see they've put together a fantastic tecWreck program and its inevitable they will be the number one association. My problem with PADI is were there getting the instructors good enough to teach TecWreck, especialy in cold water areas.

Algorithm :bonk:

For now, I think most of the instructors were teaching tech classes for other agencies. OTOH, I have seen enough really bad tech instructors that I don't think PADI will make it worse. At least an IT freind can't just make you an instructor.

I don't think they suggested that dives were done without an instructor-even THEY couldn't be THAT stupid!
Doesn't the VR3 have email? I think you just email your instructor when you hit 200' and they fax you over the c-card.

O-ring once bubbled...

Doesn't the VR3 have email? I think you just email your instructor when you hit 200' and they fax you over the c-card.

Wierless net would work as long as you could wait til you surfaced.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

Wierless net would work as long as you could wait til you surfaced.

Nah, it's got to be real time-just like the internet. Just take 200ft of coax cable, wrap it around your manifold, and go baby go!!

detroit diver once bubbled...

Nah, it's got to be real time-just like the internet. Just take 200ft of coax cable, wrap it around your manifold, and go baby go!!
I thought that's what those jersey uplines were? Isn't that coax on those tank mounted spools?

I get sick to my stomach every time I hear the word PADI when its associated with Teck diving but I'm also realistic when I see they've put together a fantastic tecWreck program

So even a fantastic tecwreck program can make you sick to your stomach? :confused:

Marc :jester:

I just can't believe how complicated some people make the academic portion of diving out to be. It's easy. I have yet to read or be taught anything in academics that was difficult and I couldn't learn on my own. The math, which I have heard some complain is difficult, is the most basic algebra. Ideal and real gas laws are simple, so academically online courses should be fine. It is not rocket science, that's something I know something about. A co-worker recently broke down and did basic nitrox. It offered nothing, other than the c-card, that he didn't already know and I don't think any nitrox does. He did, however say, that some of the people in the class probably shouldn't be diving as they had some problems with the material. Experience is what an instructor brings. It is the execution of diving that must be taught. While I am at there is something else I wonder about. Why are dive shop owner more adversarial than other kinds of business types. We talk about diving at work a lot and we all agree it is harder to give your money to scuba shops than anywhere else. There are a couple of really customer service oriented shops around, but for the most part it seems dive shops are not the friendliest places to be. Just wondering.

Steve

Do us all a favor and post the name and location of the two "customer service oriented shops", i am sure i am not only one looking.

Andy

SteveW once bubbled...
I just can't believe how complicated some people make the academic portion of diving out to be. It's easy. I have yet to read or be taught anything in academics that was difficult and I couldn't learn on my own. The math, which I have heard some complain is difficult, is the most basic algebra. Ideal and real gas laws are simple, so academically online courses should be fine. It is not rocket science, that's something I know something about. A co-worker recently broke down and did basic nitrox. It offered nothing, other than the c-card, that he didn't already know and I don't think any nitrox does. He did, however say, that some of the people in the class probably shouldn't be diving as they had some problems with the material. Experience is what an instructor brings. It is the execution of diving that must be taught. While I am at there is something else I wonder about. Why are dive shop owner more adversarial than other kinds of business types. We talk about diving at work a lot and we all agree it is harder to give your money to scuba shops than anywhere else. There are a couple of really customer service oriented shops around, but for the most part it seems dive shops are not the friendliest places to be. Just wondering.

Some classes may not require much classroom time and basic nitrox may be one of the if the student is repared. However in my classes the purpose of the classroom isn't to teach the math. I expect student to come to class with that all squared away or at least be prepared to ask questions.

Two of the classes where I spend the most time in the classroom are OW and Advanced Nitrox. Any guess as to why?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom