Ohio Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdaniels09

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Portage, Whitestar, or Gilboa? Which would you say is the best overall dive site

I've been to Whitestar just a few weeks ago and was blown away at the quarry. The visibility was great (for Ohio diving at least) followed by lots of fish and great things to look at. Then again, I haven't been to Portage or Gilboa, so I'm really not much help am I.

They all have their pluses and minuses. It all depends on what diving you want to do. For myself I would rank them Gilboa, Portage, Whitestar. The former as best overall.

Portage, Whitestar, or Gilboa? Which would you say is the best overall dive site

I just dove Gilboa the last two days and really enjoyed it. Visibility was around 60 feet and temp at 35' was 60 degrees. I have never dove the other locations, but Gilboa was the only place that was mentioned to me for Ohio.

they all can be great but overall, my opinion is Gilboa is the best then portage and finally whitestar. It all depends on visibility the day you are going.

Each one has their own personality. Heck the personalities are different depending on what day of the week and what season you dive them. My order of preference is Gilboa, Whitestar, Portage.
Ber :lilbunny:

I just dove Gilboa the last two days and really enjoyed it. Visibility was around 60 feet and temp at 35' was 60 degrees. I have never dove the other locations, but Gilboa was the only place that was mentioned to me for Ohio.

Did you get the DVD?
Ber :lilbunny:

Gilboa for things to see under water, Portage to see things above water, Whitestar for laid back mellow fun diving.

Gilboa for things to see under water, Portage to see things above water, Whitestar for laid back mellow fun diving.

I would amend that a bit:
  • Gilboa you can go deep, see man eating trout, and lots of other stuff that will keep you thrilled for a few minutes. Gilboa also has Mike (Good or Bad), and very crowded on the weekends.
  • Portage definitely has more of a park feel to it, but vis can be very bad. If you have people who don't dive they will enjoy Portage much more than the others.
  • Whitestar, yep I agree, lad back mellow fun diving, not real deep, not that much to see, and critters aren't nearly as agressive. But its very easy diving without much of a crowd.
We generally go to Gilboa in the spring and fall when it isn't busy and Whitestar during the summer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom