Oily smell from hose... Anyone else had this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kmac

Reaction score
Just bought a new Cressi reg, put it together, jumped in the pool and spit it out so fast you would have thought it bit back... :maniac:

Out of the water it just had that "new" smell... but as soon as I took that first "real" breath it was an overwhelming, (set off your gag reflex) oily taste and smell, The smell is exactly that of wheel bearing grease. First thought was the air but the octo was clean (I've had it for about 10 years) no taste or gag...
I switched regs and determined that the smell is definately the hose... Good part is the new 2nd breathed clean from this hose and wasn't affected.

Anyone else had this happen or heard of it? I've had hoses with strong rubbery smells but that went away quick, this hose smells like somebody lubed their u-joints with it.

I think that to me it smells more like a warranty. And a bit of thankful you bought it from an LDS..
Never had this before but it might be something in the hose, and if you say that you switch the second stage to the hose from the octo, it is difinitely the hose. Take it back.

Take it back to the LDS and have the repair tech check it out. Be real sure you have them break down your primary second stage. Even if "there's nothing in the hose" the second stage still needs to be looked at carefully. Pertoleum oils are not good for some of the other parts. Breath it before leaving the shop when they finish!

kmac:
Just bought a new Cressi reg, put it together, jumped in the pool and spit it out so fast you would have thought it bit back... :maniac:

Blah blah...

Anyone else had this happen or heard of it? I've had hoses with strong rubbery smells but that went away quick, this hose smells like somebody lubed their u-joints with it.

My LDS has a breathing machine that they put newly serviced gear on. The machine puts 4-500 breath cycles on it before the reg is returned to the customer. It serves 2 purposes. One, to make sure the everything inside the reg is seated properly. Two, to make sure that any "oily" smells has been pushed out.

Maybe that would help?

Henry

Thanks for the replies...

I made sure that it'll be the first thing they hear about tomorrow morning! :D

Actually know them very well so there won't be a problem, it was a special order so they didn't even open the box... just called me when they got it. I'll have 'em replace the hose after they go through every mm of the 2nd...

I'm guessing no one else has tried to breathe axle grease through a reg before... :wink:

Back
Top Bottom