Ok, any one use this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the question is how do you store it? A picture on the Dive Rite Facebook page shows it with a bolt snap and bungee. So you don't get rid of the clip. I love the innovation and the idea, but I'm not sure that this is a better mouse trap.

A picture on the Dive Rite Facebook page shows it with a bolt snap and bungee.
Where is that picture on the FB ;page? I don't find it. Is the intention to store it with the other arrows and cookies?

They have a video of the spool in use. Under the comments, there's a picture posted.

They have a video of the spool in use. Under the comments, there's a picture posted.

OK, found it. I see....so the bungee just holds the spool, and the snap bolt just holds the bungee. I can see unsnapping the boltsnap, removing the spool, and snapping the boltsnap back on the d-ring. Less likely to drop it and lose it. Nice. Might try it.

I watched the video, and yes, I had the wrong idea of how they intended it to be used. I'm still not sure I gain much, and I'm worried about the bungee/boltsnap retention setup. I have profound respect for the evil nature of line, and its determination to escape and confound the diver :)

We had a chance to use one this past weekend at Ginnie Springs. We were told the reel is for a short gap between permanent lines already there. The diver that jumped the gap had it in his pocket. It actually worked really well for a short jump. I plan on practicing some with some more, but it seemed pretty handy.
When we were shown how to use the reel we were told it wasn't to shoot a bag.

I just got two and tried them out in the yard. They are designed to work without a double ender but not really without a cookie... if you even use a cookie on a gap line. Lynne, tension is always good when tieing off a line and this is no exception. My problem is that I don't like pockets. I have to use some sort of bolt snap or double ender to carry these.

That being said, they are nicely made and come with a sticker that tells you NOT to shoot an SMB with them. All it would take would be one little snag and it would be GONE. FWIW, it has depressions on either side and no through hole. I like that a lot.

In the end, some will like this and use it. Many won't and won't. I think I kind of like mine and can't wait to jump the first gap! :D

I'll stick with their jump/gap reels. I keep a single spool as a safety. All I can think is that it's an answer looking for a question.

Can you put an arrow or a cookie on in zero viz? Why would it be different?

Why are you putting in cookies and arrows in zero vis? Aren't you on your way OUT at that point?

I don't get this thing at all. You still need a double ender, but now you have it clipped and dangling off you after you use your spool. And, you have a more complicated mess of things to feel with your hands in zero vis to be sure it's the right line - maybe no biggie for you because you played with your new gadget in the pool, but now your buddy has to work out this unfamiliar contraption in a bad situation instead of feeling the universal double ender that we all know. This is the opposite of simple and safe minimalist equipment.

the universal double ender that we all know. This is the opposite of simple and safe minimalist equipment.

The problem is the double ender in the spool scenario is a failure point. I have a pretty big collection of double enders that fall off that I find,so having a drysuit pocket because necessary. I like reels,but for emergencies spools are great,but I use then o-ring secure method which insures the double ender can't open and lose the spool. With all new pieces of gear there is always skepticism,in fact I remember when the spools first appeared many people disregarded them as junk and not belonging in cave diving,so I have learned to wait and see,because with some innovation,this could be the next great tool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom