OK to Bounce Dive to 220 Fsw as...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's best to do these types of things with a buddy that has a video camera. That way it will make it onto youtube and we can all share in the excitement. It is also standard protocol to use the 'hey y'all watch this' hand signal before descending.

Tell 'em to go for it!

Seeing as it was shorthand for "repetitive", I think his spelling is just fine...

True, as was my use of the word multiple.

What did they mean by bounce dives??? You would have to deco no matter what on a 220' dive. The world record dives are really just a bounce dives, the divers go down very fast and are at that depth for just a second then start ascending. When I spear in deep water I have done what I call bounce dives to 170-180 fsw but that requires some deco almost always even if my bottom time is only 30 seconds. I don't mean by this I drop down that deep and then come back up really fast. I usually take 45 sec or so to get down then usually at least 5 minutes to get back up plus any deco I have accumulated. I have seen people get bent on bounce dives by "out running" their computers. Be careful doing this.

Tell him there's a real friendly place called Scubaboard.com and that he should join us for a discussion on the subject. :D

Better yet tell him to go over to the Deco Stop and ask the question. The instructor is a dickhead and just opened himself up to a world of trouble if one of them tries it and gets hurt or dead. That is real professional. Professional enough that the OP should write a detailed letter to SSI HQ and let them know about it. The instructor may get some special "recognition". No wonder newbies are dying. Forget about buoyancy control, they learn it's ok to be real stupid and do bounce dives in excess of 200 feet. It is things like this that make me want to take out stock in casket companies and try to look at it as thinning the herd of stupid people. Go over to the PNW forum and ask about the newbies that did this. One I think was found planted in the mud at 240 or something like that. Some they never find.

My attitude to this is, yes, it can certainly be done, and done safely. But would I recommend anyone to do it? Absolutely not. It would only be safe for someone who was sufficiently experienced with both deep diving and deco diving. In other words, if someone has to ask the question then they're nowhere near ready.

That's what, short for repeatitive?

:mooner:

Nope...it's not short. It's a repeat dive...one done over and over. Maybe even multiple times.:cool2:

Nope...it's not short. It's a repeat dive...one done over and over. Maybe even multiple times.:cool2:

I know. We're arguing over semantics now (which is, in point of fact, one of my favorite online activities), but I was properly refining what you said. :D

"Multiple bounces" implies bounce followed by bounce.

"Bounces as repet dives" implies any dive (bounce or otherwise) followed by bounce.

Dash it all, I came onto this thread expecting to see a troll post followed by a ritual flaming.

*Sigh*

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom