Ok to media blast aluminum tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Media blasting has a number of variables:
  • Media type
  • Air pressure
  • Angle of impingement
  • Stand off distance
  • Training of the operator
I am the engineer in charge of my companyÃÔ facility for aircraft (helicopters) blasting for paint removal and have to train the operators, so I guess I know something about taking paint off of aluminum.

If you go to a commercial blaster, first ask what they will blast with. Some use sand or slag on everything. Both are bad for aluminum but Slag is the worst as it will put other metals into the aluminum surface and promote corrosion.

The best is plastic media Type V, after that is Type III which is harder and more aggressive. Then you get into the baking sodas, glass bead, aluminum oxide, walnut shell, etc.

I will not go into the other variables above as the blaster will do what he wants.

Back to an aluminum tank, the one thing you do not want to do is take all the oxide or anodized surface off the tank, so the less aggressive the better - NO SANDIND. What do I use? I use a paint stripper from Home Cheapo. Aircraft stripper, Zip Strip, etc. they are all the same as they have Methylene Chloride in them which is the active ingredient, look at the label. If you use these strippers, only strip outside, have old clothing on to protect all of you - no t-shirts, and use good gloves and rinse them every now and then in a bucket of water. After the paint is stripped, use an abrasive pad like RED Scotch Bright and warm soapy water to remove any remaining stripper and any white oxide dots of corrosion that were under the paint.

Never use the paste strippers that require a paper to pull off the paint. These strippers are very alkaline and will etch the aluminum surface.

Also, always use eye protection, full face is the best. Chemical strippers burn when they get on you and some in an eye will not have a nice outcome.

Remember that if you decide to rub your eyes without taking your gloves off.

Back
Top Bottom