Ok. Who peed in the kiddie pool?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The media is of course hyping up the issue, the currents have been abnormal in some parts as well. Just like the seaweed blob which is not an issue of course.

The eastern side of the keys have been getting heavy flow. 2 weeks ago I was in the keys in a better flowing area and getting 82 degrees avg with cold pockets at 79 which is totally normal, good current as well (2kt). This is actually cooler than usual. It's been abnormally cold in most of the eastern side of florida.

West Palm 7/7 - 77 degrees at 60ft (really cold) light current at .5kt
Boynton Beach 7/8 - 76 degrees at 50ft (brrr) heavy current at 3.5kt did the whole reef line on two dives
Jupiter 7/9 - 71 degrees (winter at 90ft) light current at .5kt

Should be in the low/mid-80s now, it's really cold with a heavy thermocline even in the gulf stream.

I just checked all the buoys and only found one throwing abnormal temps. Perhaps it's up on the asphalt or sitting in a puddle. 🤔 Regardless, I don't think there's a reef to be concerned about right there.

Screenshot_20230712_195713_Live Weather.jpg
Screenshot_20230712_195720_Live Weather.jpg

There are local news reports about FL keys temps are close to 90. That is coral-killing temps, and we are only in July.

I wonder if the 97 was a discrepancy. Meant 87?
EDIT - I guess with the NOAA bouy confirmation on the link in the article, it was not a discrepancy.

You realize that doesn't quite fit here, right?

Locals know what the data is and those of us who use the buoys also know how they are set up.

For example, in one of the links it shows the Clearwater surface temp data at 91°F. I just showed you it is 82.5°F on the bottom.

Like I said, I'd want to hear from actual divers, with real and recent data, who don't get paid for clicks. Didn't covid teach anyone anything?

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Thread cleanup has occurred. The topic is specific to current Florida water temperatures and not a greater philosophical discussion and will not be permitted to devolve into political positions.

Like I said, I'd want to hear from actual divers, with real and recent data, who don't get paid for clicks. Didn't covid teach anyone anything?
Agree, Several of us always post our 'conditions' in our reports(Viz & Temp & Current) . BHB divers are famous for it.
If you want ScubaBoard Credibility that your under water, post conditions and people will like your reports.

I certainly appreciate some of the buoy data, like wind and wave data, but temp is one I've never found to be accurate.

Too many factors. The buoy itself is going to be absorbing a ton of sun and with no current that heat will be transfered to the temp probe.

Also, being that it's in the surface, we know about thermoclines. It's not uncommon to have the top 5 feet really warm and everything under much cooler. From a reef perspective I view it like putting a temp probe next to an asphalt highway baking in the sun and claiming this is what the temperature is for an entire county.

I'll say this. If I am wrong, every single coral that is exposed to 95°F water would be dead. So if it is true, I would expect to hear about entire reefs completely dead next week.

Too many factors. The buoy itself is going to be absorbing a ton of sun and with no current that heat will be transfered to the temp probe.
Good point. Never thought of that. I doubt this is a Florida-only phenomenon but things do seem to be really heating up down there in the Sunshine State.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom