Okay, I'm looking for a little computer advice...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaJay once bubbled...
I haven't seen the DS3, O-man. You have a source online where I can see it?
It is a D3...hehe...the DS3 is a model of Andy's drysuit... :bonk:

http://www.suunto.com/pls/suunto/suunto2.pubmainpage.frameset

The only drawback is that is isn't a computer...more a bottom timer that keeps profiles. It performs no decompression calculations/NDL stuff...but if you don't need that, then you are golden..

One reason you saw them using Stingers is because of the stop watch feature (the new D3 also has this.)

When you reach your first deco stop you push a button and the middle (largest) display turns into a count up timer for timing deco stops.

I did see that. Suunto's marketing it as their "Freediving" computer.

I still don't get how these things work... I've used a Cobra, an Oceanic, and some other computers, too... The whole "bottom timer" thing still eludes me. It's just a stopwatch? A stopwatch that "starts" when you submerge it and "stops" when you take it out of the water? Does it show your depth? Average depth? Max depth?

...So see, I couldn't even begin to tell you whether or not that D3 would work or not...

SeaJay once bubbled...
I did see that. Suunto's marketing it as their "Freediving" computer.

I still don't get how these things work... I've used a Cobra, an Oceanic, and some other computers, too... The whole "bottom timer" thing still eludes me. It's just a stopwatch? A stopwatch that "starts" when you submerge it and "stops" when you take it out of the water? Does it show your depth? Average depth? Max depth?

...So see, I couldn't even begin to tell you whether or not that D3 would work or not...
Basically, a bottom timer/gauge will show you dive time (your submerged stopwatch idea), current depth, max depth, and temperature (depending on the model). Most of the suuntos record average depth, but it is not displayed as you are diving...only afterward in the log.

Set it to freedive,jump in the water and it starts.Just imagine your computer displaying all the important info, but not making decisions for you. the D-3 also has a countdown timer(or count up, depending on how you set it up). The Stinger is a lot easier to read than the D-3, but a Vytec is even easier to read, for me. I use the Stinger as a backup, bolt snapped in my pocket in case my Vytec takes a crap. If you get one of these, get the interface, the log feature is really cool, like a secretary on your wrist.

Jeff, have you ever had any problems with your Vytec? Nobody seems to trust these things... Even JJ said in the Fundimentals book that he "wishes that he could depend on the hoseless transmitters, but they just aren't reliable enough yet."

Ever had any problems?

And why would the Stinger be easier to read? Are they not the same face?

I understand that for the additional $200 or so in price, the Stinger gives you a full deco computer and the stainless case... Is that it? I understand that the D3 has all of the features, but is made of ABS and has no deco computer on it... Hence, the huge price difference...

SeaJay once bubbled...

Can you explain the difference between "Gauge Mode" and "Freedive Mode?" What do you guys mean when you say that the computer does or doesn't have a "proper gauge mode?"

In "gauge" mode it can measure depth, temp etc. indefinately, in "free dive" mode after 5 min it goes to error (probably it "thinks" you're dead).

Well, that's no good. Definitely wouldn't work for me, then. I might spend 20 minutes at 100 feet, or 100 minutes (or more) at 20 feet... But I probably would not be at any depth for only five minutes.

...So "Freedive Mode" is out. I guess I'd need that Stinger, then... Which explains why everyone's wearing them. :D

Thanks, y'all.

MonkSeal once bubbled...

In "gauge" mode it can measure depth, temp etc. indefinately, in "free dive" mode after 5 min it goes to error (probably it "thinks" you're dead).
I guess they didn't realize how good I was at freediving when they designed it then, eh?
:wink:

Sorry O-ring, they must have designed it with my freediving abilities in mind. I "samba" after two minutes, and would probably die after 3. :D

O-ring once bubbled...

I guess they didn't realize how good I was at freediving when they designed it then, eh?
:wink:

Back
Top Bottom