Okinawa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubagrl

Reaction score
My birthday was Saturday and I received as a gift airline tickets to Okinawa from a dear friend. The purpose of my trip is to track down long lost relatives, as this is where my mother was from. I'm hoping to be able to squeeze in some diving while I am there. I will be staying somewhere in the vacinity of Okinawa City, but am willing to travel some distance for diving purposes. Also, my father will be accompanying me on this trip (lifelong dream of ours), and he'll perhaps be interested in doing a resort course so that we can dive together. Any tips, ideas, suggestions, recommendations, etc etc would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Hey AliKat where are you?

Scubagrl if AliKat does not help you out you can always try Fathoms Deep they are based in Okinawa and although I have not dived with them yet they have been very helpful with my enquiries to date.

Now if only I could get someone to give me an airline ticket.....

Have fun
Jonathan

I went diving with Rich at Fathoms last May & had a great time. He seems to run boat trips to the Keramas with some frequency. I wanted to do that trip (or the whale sharks) last year but the weather was only good for a couple of days while I was there. There are dive sites all over the Island but I would make sure that I had a local with me to avoid the hazzards.

-K

I'm here, I'm here. I too, recommend Rich at Fathoms for your father.

When are you planning your trip? I will be away a lot over the next couple of months, but if I'm here, I'll be happy to do some diving with you.

Thanks all, for your help. AliKat, the trip will probably be in August of 2003. My dad is a farmer in northern WI and he and I both are in the process of starting our own small businesses, so this trip is going to require a bit of finagling and planning in order to be enjoyable and productive for us. Hopefully by that time, too, I'll have located some of my relatives in Okinawa and will be able to arrange visits with them as well.

I'd absolutely love to take you up on the diving too, AliKat! Hopefully my dad will either work toward his cert (unfortunately there are not any dive agencies within a couple of hours of him) or do a resort course on the trip. If not, I'd still like to get in some dives. I'll definitely stay in touch with you via PM or email, and feel free to do the same with me! Thanks again! I'm truly hoping that this will be the trip of a lifetime!

Linda

I just got back from Kerama. I loved it! It's only about an hour or so by boat from the main island of Okinawa, so if you can make the time for the trip, I would say it's definitely worth it!

Kerama looks fab - picked up some brochures at the dive show. I want to do Yonaguni (sorry if I've spelt it wrong) as well.....

Where are you based Sunfish? I'm loving the diving out here, a tad expensive but great fun. I also love the astonished looks when they see me walking past twinned up - but then I have not got the SAC of the average Japanese diver.....

Jonathan

Jonathan,

You might want to check Rich Ruth at Fathoms. I think the WEB page is fathoms.net.

He has a tour going this May that is a semi live aboard that is going from Yonaguni to Ishagaki or vice versa and a couple places in between.

Thanks for the tip - can't make May as I am already out for 2 weeks and don't think they will be happy.....

However, Southern Breezes in July sounds like a possibility - "Ten dives to see Mantas, uninhabited islands and the monuments of Yonaguni" - sounds like fun.....

Jonathan

Jonathan, I live in a landlocked prefecture! :p As for diving, I'm a resort diver by birth but DEFINITELY an Izu diver by upbringing. I've only begun diving on a regular basis the past couple of months, though.

I'll be on the lookout for a handsome gaijin in a shell suit! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom