old 80's scubapro reg, 3 pic's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks awap
so its lever, then brown washer, then nut .. i think i have it backwards :(
i don't remember seeing a plastic insert, nothing extra came out when i disassembled everything, i'll have to look again
i believe my demand valve body may be adjustable, one end has a slot for a screw drive
thanks for all the help guys

thanks awap
so its lever, then brown washer, then nut .. i think i have it backwards :(
i don't remember seeing a plastic insert, nothing extra came out when i disassembled everything, i'll have to look again
i believe my demand valve body may be adjustable, one end has a slot for a screw drive
thanks for all the help guys

OK, I have not messed with a 108 in quite some time but I looked at a couple that I have and neither one has that second washer (housing insert). The feet on the lever ride in that metal slot and the single METAL washer goes between the lever and the nut.

But I did find a couple of those winged washers (housing insert, pn 21.080.121) with a replacement housing I had for an R190. They are a rather substantial plastic insert with wings that engage the slots in the housing and the middle provides the square that holds the stem from rotating. I think what is going on is early production 108 with the fixed orifice had had that square as part of the metal housing and later versions just had a round hole in the center of the housing (easier to manufacture) and then used to housing insert to probide the square that held the poppet stem.

Bottom line is you should be fine with what you have. Assembly order is lever, metal washer, and then the nut.

Good luck.

Now to put a couple 108s back together again.:D

thanks for all the help guys...
i took the reg in to the shop today to double check my work... the shop did a little more cleaning, replaced one oring, put it back together and called it the "rolex of regs"... its good to go, breathes nice and easy, lots of air flow...
raining tonight and tomorrow (snow in forecast) so i won't get back in the water for a few days .... waters getting cold here, two days ago it was 44 F

.....yes, some of the early 108s had a square broach cutout in the air barrel rather than an insert with a square hole.

test dive today, 45 F, the reg worked fine, so good that i wouldn't hesitate to use it as my primary.
i had it as my octo on a necklace, switched back and forth, very happy with the results.
being all metal i am going to guess and say the 108 would be a good cold water reg .. would that be correct ????

17.jpg18.jpg

I am afraid I have some bad news for you. You have been exposed to a very contagious habit that is pretty much incurable. Now you will have to start looking for another 108 (they are like potato chips). And then there will be 109s and 156s. And Pilots and D-series. And the 1st stages: Mk1, Mk2, Mk3, Mk200, Mk5, Mk7, Mk10. And you can't forget US Diver/Aqualung. You are hooked. Welcome.

In the end it will probably cost you many pleasurable hours and almost as much $$$ as a couple of those fancy new regulators.

awap .. yes .. a 109 would be a nice addition..
for the 108 is there supposed to be an oring on the hose end of the demand body, see atth'd pic

108.jpg

There is no need for an O-ring where you are asking. The sealing O-ring between the hose and the regulator is shown as item number 24 and it is part of the hose assembly.

Occasionally you may find that some divers will place a thin O-ring where your arrow point to, but it is used as a locking device, not as a sealing O-ring. The only purpose to add that O-ring as a locking device is if the diver only intends to hand tighten the hose. The hose doesn’t need to be tighten (with a wrench) to seal, since it has a swivel type radial sealing O-ring (number 24 in diagram). That swivel fitting doesn’t even has to be fully threaded to seal.

Normally you only tighten that fitting (with a wrench) just enough so that it doesn’t come unscrewed due to normal rotation in during regular use. The primary reason some divers may only hand tighten it is to be able to easily swap 2nd stages in the field. In that case the soft O-ring will provide enough friction to work as a locking device even if it is only hand tighten.

luis .. thanks for the info .. appreciate it

Awesome -,yeas, my Mk5 / 108 is my stuck on a desert isle reg. It's a bulletproof, workhorse piece of equipment and set up correctly is a great breather for any recreational diving you do - and beyond. IMO, better than a ton of modern regs for ease of service and robustness. That Mk17 is great too

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom