Old or incompetent -- Which would YOU prefer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On numerous occasions I’ve been told that the degree of incompetence I’ve achieved is remarkable for one of such advanced years. (Is that one of those backhanded compliments like, “You don’t sweat much for a fat girl”?)

The analysis of effort vs reward is one only you can make.

Tobin

I was formulating my own response to Lynne's question and read this, which is really the same thought, expressed with almost transcendant succinctness. Don't dismiss it, Tobin really is addressing your question directly.

Both age and aptitude limit what we can do. Both are real. Neither are anything to be embarrassed or ashamed about, they are just facts. Both can be overcome, up to some maximum for each of us, at any point in our life, by investing time and effort.

Who cares whether the limitation is the diminished capacity of age or injury, or intrinsic limitations of talent and aptitude, or some combination of both? They are parameters of your current state of existence and are addressed the same way. If it's worth it. And only you can decide if its worth it, for you. Some intrinsically very rewarding things won't be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom