Old Providence dive trip report (finally!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The wife and I recently returned from a dive trip to Old Providence Island, a tiny island in the southwest Caribbean which happens to be a part of Columbia. This area does not usually see tourists from the United States, and caters more to northern South America, so the available information on it was sparse. I hope to provide others with more information through our experiences down there. Please forgive the length of this report, as I have a lot of detailed data to get across. Getting to this place was no picnic. The only way to get there is from San Andres island, another Columbian island in the Caribbean, and although it is served by flights from several South American and Central American cities, there are no flights direct from the US. So, we had to fly to Miami, and there pick up COPA airline to Panama City. Let me say a word about COPA. This is air travel the way it used to be. More leg room than I have ever seen on an american carrier, free hot meals to all passengers, (not just first class) , and free alcoholic drinks to all passengers, if desired. It's been a long time since I have seen any of that. Anyway, we overnighted in a Panamanian hotel, and then tried to leave the next morning for San Andres via COPA again. We ran into mechanical problems with the plane, however, and Copa sent us all to a prepaid lunch at the airport restaurant (very nice!) while they dealt with it. When we came back we found they had switched planes, and we finally got off to San Andres. We arrived without difficulty, but then found that our little commuter flight with Satena Air to Old Providence had moved up the flight departure time and had just left 15 minutes before. We were rescheduled with their early AM flight the next day, and COPA came through with prepaid vouchers for a night's stay at an upscale beachfront hotel, complete with meals. They even paid for the taxi fares. We spent a delightful night, at COPA's expense, and were delivered to Satena Air as promised the next morning. Now, Satena was a real switch from COPA, as we now entered the world of tiny island hopper airlines. The baggage allowance was a 10 kilo joke, and they dinged us $40 in excess baggage charges for the 25 minute flight, which wasn't too bad considering what others have paid under similiar circumstances elsewhere in the world. But be warned, anyway. The plane was a small 30 passenger twin prop affair, and it was a noisy but short flight to Providencia, as the locals all call it. We set down in El Embrujo (meaning "the bewitchment") and had our first look at this little place. San Andres was a bigger but flat island, completely devoted to resort hotels and such, but Providencia looked like a set for a remake of Bali-Hi. Beautiful blue waters and several white beaches surrounding several tall mountainous-looking green covered hills in the main center of the island. Lord, but it was gorgeous. The population was sprinkled around the edges of the island, in several small communities, and a main highway (if you want to call it that) went all the way around the edge of the island. Our taxi (a pickup truck) was waiting at the door when we cleared customs and such. (Don't forget to buy your tourist entry card, either in Panama or at immigration at San Andres, and keep it with your passport. It costs about $20 US, and you won't get far without it.) 5 of us squeezed into that truck, including me and another fool who rode in the back end with the luggage. We zipped around the south end of the island, and eventually ended up in the settlement of Freshwater Bay, where Sonny's Cabanas was located. Our room was a basic kind of thing, with air conditioning, a mini fridge and spanish speaking cable TV, similar to the kind of thing I have seen before in the cheaper motels in the Florida keys. Very clean, but the beds were the familiar rock hard mattresses I have seen so often in Cozumel. Also, no hot water in the bathroom. Not just the usual lack of supply, but no provision for it (!) :hmmm:
Anyway, we were provided breakfast in the nice open air restaurant next to the cabanas, which consisted of eggs and ham cooked to order, or interesting grilled ham and cheese sandwiches for us, who really don't like standard breakfast fare all that much. We then walked down to the dive shop, which was about 200 yards down the street from the cabanas. They had waited for us, and we got out for our first dive without difficulty. The boat is an uncovered fiberglass hull with a 200 HP outboard and a removable entry ladder, with bench seating on the sides and tank storage down the middle. It could handle about 12 divers easily, but we never had more than 5. A sun top would have been appreciated, as the sun is fierce down there, and I am told they are working on it. The dive shop is right on the beach, but no dock. Not many docks anywhere, actually. Coralina, the overseeing park agency for the island, forbids most of them. So we waded out to the boat and climbed in. The sea was unusually brutal that morning, with wind and waves that were badly out of character for this area, and we got tossed severely. We dove at Felipe's Place, and conditions were so bad we aborted the second dive and got out at the settlement of Santa Isabella when the shop manager met us with a new tank supply. We caught a ride back to the cabanas with him. Things moderated considerably by the next morning, and the waters were much calmer. The sun was still intense, however, and we got pretty fried despite sunscreen and hats. We dove The Convent, named for a nearby religious outpost, and then went on to Manta City and then Tete's Place. Manta City was notable for it's population of friendly stingrays, and the others were a mixture of walls and fringing reefs. On Tuesday we went ot Turtle Rock, and then The Bar. We had a nice night dive back at Tete's Place. On Wed, we saw The Hole, and then the wreck of an enormous WW2 barge that was overturned in about 70 feet of water. We went back to Manta City for our second night dive. Fish life was somewhat sparse, especially big fish, but we saw a nice selection of most of the usual Caribbean suspects, including several nice moray eels, a few turtles, and a couple of small nurse sharks. No reef sharks, but we did see a lot of stingrays, and a few eagle rays swam by. The barge wreck is a macro lover's paradise, with lots of arrow crabs, coral banded shrimp, bristle stars, pederson shrimp, and many more. We dove it twice, and I could have gone back there twice more. We also visited a site named "Confusion" and also Nick's Place, which was Speedy's(our divemaster) favorite site. Saw about a dozen large parrotfish grubbing around in one spot on top of the wreck, and also a selection of lobster, crabs; and a large school of jacks paid us a call. We spent all our surface intervals on the boat, and this tended to get old. The night dives were rather unremarkable, and the boat is unlit except for a hand lantern. No running lights, but we did okay with our dive lights. Speedy, the divemaster, and Anderson, the boat captain, were extremely attentive and solicitous, and never failed to walk Judy out to the boat and back again, due to the layer of smooth but ankle-turning rocks which carpeted the beach from the waterline to about 30 feet out, where sand started and it was waist deep. This is also where the boat was anchored. END OF PART ONE

Last edited:
Meals were included in our room and dive package, and were available in the little open-air restaurant previously mentioned. Breakfast and supper were provided, and lunch was on your own. There are several other restaurants within walking distance, but only 5 or 6 are open for lunch. They ranged from rather upscale (for this area, anyway) and fairly pricey, down to a local caribbean hangout which produced a surprisingly good california cheeseburger (very similar to a Burger King whopper) for about 3 1/2 bucks US. Down here, however, all transactions are in Columbian pesos, which are currently running about 1,900 to the US dollar. Paying 2000 pesos for a bottle of coke seemed alarming at first, then you realize that it is only a buck.
The attached restaurant had a special menu for us guests, with about half the menu items from the regular menu, but still very good. They are also the local pizza parlour, and several pizzas were on that special menu. They did a surprisingly good job with pizza, and we had it a couple of different times while down here. Breakfasts were juice (always fresh squeezed and always something different. I had no idea what some of it was, but it was all good!), sometimes fruit, and eggs cooked to order (usually with ham) or other interesting things. We had very good (and different!) french toast one day, and they would always whip up some kind of grilled sandwich if requested. We were most satisfied with the meal arrangement, and never went hungry. A friend of ours who was staying there also was grumbling about the food down here, but he was pretty much a meat and potatoes kind of guy, and that is hard to come by in the caribbean. They really tried to accomodate us, and when they found out that my wife Judy likes diet coke,(which they didn't have and which is rather hard to come by down here) they went out and found her some. Great people.
The last dive day we had a couple of nice wall dives, and then rented a motorized golf cart and wandered around the island. As I have said, it is stunningly beautiful. Water clarity was from about 75-100 feet, down to about 25-50 feet, depending on site, and water temps were about 80-82 degrees. The people are very friendly, but look desperately poor and are often living in houses that are little more than shacks. I asked a Canadian lady who married an islander and stayed to run a very good restaurant on the south part of the island called Cafe Studio about this, and was told that appearances were deceiving. She said that people here just don't care much about their houses. They all have enough to eat and fairly decent clothes to wear, and as she pointed out, virtually everyone here has a scooter or motorbike. I did encounter lots of motorbikes, with a few cars and trucks (and a few golf carts like mine) thrown in.
A word about modern services. Internet is available in a little internet cafe across from our cabanas, and is really cheap. 30 pesos a minute- you figure it out, and that includes use of a computer that looked like it came over on the Mayflower. Only dial-up service is available, however, and thus is really slow. The provided computers were laid out strangely, at least to me. No @ symbol on the keyboard, for example. You could get an @ by typing 3 other keys simultaneously, but that is a nuisance. I finally did manage to get off a couple of emails, however, and they did get through, and the lady who was running the place was most helpful. ATM's are also strange here. Service was very hit and miss, and there are only two terminals on the island, both in Santa Isabella on the northwest corner of the island and the biggest settlement here. They seemed to be limited to only 300,000 pesos withdrawal at a time (about $150 US), and seemed to be limited to only one withdrawal a day. At least, I could never make the machines work twice in one day. I checked with my bank, who had been prenotified of my travel plans, and they have no idea what was going on, either.:idk: ARRGH! Oh well, welcome to the joys of traveling in far away places.
We left early on Saturday, and caught that Satenas flight back to San Andres without incident, except for that excess baggage fee again. (we managed to lighten our checked baggage by about 15 pounds, but this time we got charged 10 bucks more, for a total fee of $50! Go figure..:shakehead:) San Andres was uneventful this time, but be sure you get your passport stamped with a tax-exempt stamp (free) which will let you avoid the departure tax. Back on COPA for our flight through Panama City and then on to Miami, and we were back to the 2 free 50# bags of checked luggage and the usual carryons. Nice to get back to big commercial jets. One strange note- they sealed up all our checked luggage with zip ties on the zippers and big sealed COPA imprinted plastic bags. They said this would speed the luggage through Panamanian security and save about 4 hours in luggage inspection time there. I have never seen this before, but was told it is fairly common down here. Interesting.
So, overall, how did we like it? I must admit, it's sure a lot of hassle to get here, and the whole setup could use some work. The potential is there, but some things need to be done to really attract American divers, I think. Tad Miller, who set this all up for us and who has a website at Diveoldprovidence.com tells me that much of this is in progress, and he hopes to have some slightly more upscale lodging choices available (at higher rates) soon. (One tip- if you do use Sonny's Cabanas, ask for a room in the newer section of the place.:wink:)
All in all, I can really believe that this is the Caribbean of 30 years ago, with both the positive and negative aspects of that condition. Would I go back? Not soon, as there are too many other places we have yet to explore; but if Tad gets things whipped into shape, Providencia may yet see us again. We will see.:palmtree:
Woody

Hi Woodman,

Thanks for your trip report to Providencia! I have been researching the island since December and information is difficult to find.

How was the marine life; fishes, corals, plants ... did you see any Lionfish? I understand they have now invaded, but they are trying to bag and dispose of them. My husband and I are snorkelers and we have stopped going to the Caribbean because there is just not much to see. We have been going to Fiji for the past few years.

But we are curious about Isla Providencia. It would be wonderful to see a pristine Caribbean marine ecosystem before all the coral is bleached and the Lionfish have eaten everything! We are thinking of going in May or June 2010. For snorkelers we will stay on Santa Catalina and / or the Northeastern part of the island at Posada Cocobay.

For anyone thinking of going I have found some great sites for trip planning. Unfortunately, I was unable to post the links. They were removed because this is my first post. So you can email me if interested.

This is a continuing thread from Bootnall.com. Packed with information, the most recent postings are on page 11. RastaPaul lives on Providencia and is willing to help with just about anything! If you are unable to make your hotel or flight reservations or whatever.

Anyway, just want to make sure it is worth going. And we have found a great connection through LAX to ADZ with COPA. With one stop in Panama City.

Thanks, Sue

Hi Woody
Thanks for the great trip report. I also would like to know what you thought about the marine life ecosystem on Old Providence as compared to the other Caribbean destination you and Judy have been. They say is it the healthiest in the Caribbean but not being as well traveled as you and Judy I cannot compare so I like to hear for others.

Sue
I was in Old Providence with Woody and Judy I did 6 dives and seen a total of 7 Lion fish, I was amazed at the amount. On 3 different dives we seen 3 in a group once, 2 together on 2 separate dives. I only noticed where the 3 were the reef was very bland and lacking other reef fish.
I did not get a chance to talk in any detail to them about the removing of Lionfish. I know there are serious restrictions, everything has to be approved by Coralina being it is a reserve and protected.
Ciao
Tad

Thanks Tad ... but that is not what I wanted to hear! Those Lionfish are spreading way to quickly.

As far as comparisons with the rest of the Caribbean, we have been to Bonaire in 1999 and 2001. And Akumal in 2005. But in 2000 we went to Beqa Island in Fiji. So we had 2 snorkeling trips to Bonaire with 1 to Fiji in between. The Bonaire trip in 2001 was after Lenny so it was decimated and flattened. We would swim around and say, Where is everything?

We do remember what Bonaire looked like in 1999 and it was beautiful. Lots of different corals, tube sponges, wire coral, and humongous fish. We were so hoping we could experience that one more time on Providencia.

Sue

Sorry about the slow response to your questions, Sue, I guess we are still recovering from that marathon series of air flights...:shakehead: Anyway, I see you are snorkelers. Hmmm. I didn't really see much that I thought would appeal to snorkelers, as most of the sites we visited were 50-60 feet deep or more. Not being a snorkeler myself, my comments might not apply to your situation, but I thought you should know that most of what I saw was pretty deep.
As to the marine life, I have to say that I have seen more elsewhere in the past. But then again, I suppose I could say that about just about everywhere we have been recently in the Caribbean. Fish populations don't seem as vibrant recently, as I think you have heard ad nauseum from others.:depressed: There were some nice specimens that we encountered, including the biggest green moray eel that I have ever seen, but the big fish just didn't seem to be there. Only a few grouper, for example, and not too big either. The lionfish were disturbing, but then again I suppose you have to expect them now. I am still waiting for the first sighting of the durn things in Lake Superior up here in Minnesota. (Don't laugh- it's gonna happen! They get into everything!:shakehead:)
Anyway, if I can be of further help, please don't hesitate to contact me. Woody

Thanks Woody for taking the time to post your comments. Quick question -- do you know if there is much interesting bird life on the island? We're wondering it is worthwhile to bring binoculars. We're not serious birders and travel only with carry-ons, so we only pack them when we think they will be useful.

I have to admit that we didn't really notice much spectacular bird life while down there, but then our attention was usually focused on matters piscine, rather than avian.:D They may very well be there, we just didn't notice. {except for the mourning doves, which were everywhere. We heard their cooing all the time} But bring the binoculars anyway! The landscapes and mountainous vistas alone are worth it. Incredible place!The craggy green-covered hills made me stop and back up my rented golf cart several times just to get a better look. And you are so close to them! I understand you can get locals to take you on trips up into them, but alas, we had no time.:( Woody

That sounds interesting, so we'll pack 'em -- I think we'll plan to spend at least one full day topside to take in the local environs. Thanks again for your comments -- we're looking forward to our trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom