old scuba tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

finflipper49

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I was given a steel scuba tank 72 cf I believe. It is a 1959 US Divers with post valve. There is 2100 lb. of preasure in tank and the last hydro was five years ago so will need to be tested again. I'm looking for info about this tank and wondering if I should keep it, sell it and is it worth much. Also if the valve is rebuildable if later needed. I'm a newer diver and would like to have some facts on this before I bring it to a dive shop. Personally I would rather have a newer tank but maybe this one is a good start. Thanks very much for any input.

About the only drawback for the post valve 72 cf steel tanks is the 1/2" pipe threading. More modern J and K valve tanks use 3/4" standard threading. Valves can be rebuilt, and some shops will hydro your tanks, others may not have the 1/2" adaptors. Many of the older tanks are 1800 psi working pressure, others are 2250 psi. There should be a pressure number stamped below the neck. Enjoy your 50 year old tank, lots of us still dive them.

As long as it passes hydro and vis, enjoy diving your vintage tank. Otherwise find someone who does dive vintage and sell to him.

there was a thread a while ago about older tanks and several people knew of cylinders that were still in use after 100 years (of course these weren't for SCUBA). There are a number of people that are into vintage gear that I bet would trade a modern tank to have a 1959 US Diver's tank. You might check on the vintage board if there is someone to trade with, I have a couple of 72s that I started diving this year and I really like them, even though they are a little small for a big guy like me. but this would be a good start to assembling a vintage rig.

It may very likely be a 3/4" thread valve. That was about the time USD switched from 1/2" to 3/4". Either way it is a good tank with excellent buoyance.

I've got 2 us divers 72s set up as doubles and one sp 72 as a single I use for shallow dives and boat cleaning.. Love them. With the buoyancy characteristics it's much better than alum 80s if you can get away with slightly less air.

It's very easy to determine if it's a 3/4 straight or the older style 1/2 tapered thread. IF you can see threads, it's the older tapered, if there are no threads showing, it's the newer (same as modern) 3/4 straight thread. If it's the straight version you can eithe use the valve as is (although you will likely have to change the blow out plug- no big deal) or swap it out for a modern valve. If you do, do't throw it away, there are plenty of vintage guys that would like to have it or keep it for later use if you decide to get an old reg to play with. In either case, it's not dangerous/deadly/will kill you if you dive it, contrary to what some may tell you.

I have 7 old 72's (i do stay away from the pipethread ones though) I use up at moosehead lake maine cause it is 57miles to the closest air. I havent paid more than $50 for any of them and 1 of them came from a scrap yard! But I havent had 1 fail a hydro or a vis yet and I really dont like diving with aluminum.

I have 3 steel 72's. I use one for O2 and the other two for side mount.

Not the direction this thread is going but.... I had the top cut off my very old tank. Painted it white. Built a small wooden base so it would stand upright. I put scuba diving stickers on the side and use it as an umbrella stand.

Back
Top Bottom