Old tank warning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had one from 1959 that was probably 100 times worse than that (on the outside).
I sand blasted all the rust off and out of the pits down to what they call "white clean" steel and painted it.
I sent it in for hydro and it passed no problem.

OP here,

The rust is worse than the photo leads you to believe. The rust is actually into the metal, it's a divot. It doesn't really show in the picture. I think the first hydro date on that tank was '72.

I actually was waiting in line at my LDS fiddling with the tanks when I found the damage. The owner and repair guy at the shop both said the tank was too badly damaged.

I went there a week later, they were using it at a door stop.

Jeff

Letting the air out of the tanks before storage isn't going to solve all of your problems. Certainly it would not have affected the outcome of the yellow tank shown in the photo.

This is yet another reason why annual visual inspections are recommended. The problems could have been corrected before they progressed to the point of causing the tanks to be condemned.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom