Old Trees/Logs Being Raised in Lake Ontario

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScoobieDooo

Reaction score
Anyone have any information or know of any links that have info on the old trees/logs that were submerged in Lake Ontario from years ago that are being raised and regarded as valuable pieces or historical woods?

I just heard that some guy is salvaging old logs in the Bay of Qunite.. Apparently they broke freee from log booms a hundred years ago and sunk to the bottom.. Rumor has it the guy is making pretty good money because the timbers are well preserved and really big..

I heard they are like Black Walnut or something...like maybe 200 years old or so.

???

I'm not sure if Black Walnut will float if it's green, I know it's pretty iffy with White Oak, some will but a lot sinks right away. They just drop right out of the log booms. The denser hardwoods are the more valuable ones, so stuff laying on the bottom was high nickle to start with.
Lake Superior has a few different submerged log ops going, the state of Michigan sells permits for so many acres of lake bottom & collects a fee on any recovered logs. Northern Wisconsin has a lot of submerged timber too, a lot of that old growth timber that's pretty much been depleted. High quality stuff.
trivia:
The loggers would stamp their initials into the log ends, the mark can be read even if a chunk is cut off. If someone were to cut off both ID stamps the log would be shorter than the required mill minimum. If you find an old log laying on the bottom, check the ends. :wink:

Stradivarius is apparently a big customer; their techniques for developing the particular tone within their violins involved submerging the wood to saturation anyway. The age and quality of this old growth wood is apparently superior to anything you could find today…

Jeff Lane

In the mid-60's Skin Diver had numerous articles about this very activity.
I have a small book written about underwater logging from that era which explains the techniques to recover the logs and even how to evaluate them.

However, this is 2003 and you can no longer go out on weekends with your buddy and pull up logs.
You need (you guessed it!) a licence from the government and apparently they aren't given out freely.

The logs can be extremely valuable. I've heard that up to $25,000 per log is not uncommon.

I know a couple of commercial divers making a good living recovering sunken cyperss logs and trees in southern rivers. The dive buddys you get are a bit different down here though. BIG catfish, 'gators and dangerous snakes make this a "not for the squeemish" activity, and of course it's mostly unregulated. (OSHA rules DO apply!)

FT

you have to have proof of all the fun things that commercial divers have - all the courses - health and safety etc, etc, etc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom