Old Trees/Logs Being Raised in Lake Ontario

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have read a few articles on the recovery of logs from rivers and lakes and there is still some concern that removing these logs might harm important fish habitat. It also causes problems with silting and Im not sure but it might cause some of the phosphorous and nitrogen traped in the sediment to be recycled into the water. I haven't gone over these documents in a while so I will see if I can get some more information if anyone is interested.

I used to dive the ottawa river near Beachburg a lot in the summer, it's loaded with timber, which is really cool because most of the logs still bear the logging "stamp" on the end denoting try type and date cut.

this being said, the Roche Frendu Rapid section is a DANGEROUS place for untrained, undisiplined divers. I kayaked there for years before ever diving it and many of the logs have a habit of shifting during level changes. BE CAREFUL.

Willer

...where the folks are mining old trees off the bottom of Lake Superior. My wife bought a wooden box at the gift shop made from scraps of Old Growth Pine, that is as hard and tighter ringed than the red oak growing on my farm right now. Very cool. They pick the logs with a couple lift bags and then float them to a 'holding pen' near the warehouse in town. Then go a pull them out when they have room to put them in the kiln to dry them properly. The one wall of the display area is covered with cut ends with the loggers marks on them. The fellow who owns the company had to get the state to enact new laws to enable him to harvest the timber, but he's doing OK now. The lumber is highly priced and valuable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom