older tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chazzjoh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My uncle gave me an old luxfer tank he found when he was cleaning out his garage (luxfer s80 aluminum tank.) Stored with air in it, 600psi. Only hydro date stamped on it is 1987. He said he only used it a few times so it should be ok. Is it even worth it to get it hydro'd? Free tank but I see some talk about problems with older tanks and was curious.

Markings are:

DOT - AL3000 - S80
P316521 Luxfer 6^87

thanks

Might as well throw it away. Those tanks are made of a different alloy fromcurrent Luxfer tanks. While I think it is much baloney over nothing, you will find it diffucult if not impossible to get that tank VIP or filled. As cheap as aluminum 80s are, get a new one. It is not vintage either so it is scrap aluminum.
N

Chaz, millions of those tanks were produced and about a dozen have exploded, worldwide. The chances of your tank blowing up are about the same as winning the lottery, but.... The year, 1987 was just about the end of the production cycle for SCUBA tanks made of 6351 alloy. Since then, the dive industry went through fear, denial, acceptance and now, rejection. Consequently, even though the tank may pass all the required tests, visual inspection, VIZ+ test, hyrostatic test, it may be that a shop will refuse to fill it.

If your local dive shops are following this recommendation from Luxfer, your periodic inspection fees will be more than with other cylinders. In addition to the usual annual visuals and five-year hydros, they want an eddy test every 2.5 years. Depending on the cost for the additional test, your “free” cylinder might or might not be a bargain.

Some more info here.

Make it into a lamp. :D

My brother gave me a Luxfer 80 made in 1973, last hydro was 1978. Stored under similar circumstances as yours. It checked out fine during hydro and VIP in 2005, and looked fine during VIP in 2006. The "suspect" year on these is 1982. This has been written about in detail elsewhere. I had it filled in South Florida while on vacation, but I do know there is one shop down there that won't.

Between my daughter and myself, we have used this cylinder on about 60 dives. I am a degreed metallurgist who worked for a company that made these things. If it was unsafe, I'd be the first to take it away for recycling.

Happy diving!

The safety issue is not while diving it. It's while filling it. I agree, the risks are minimal, especially if proper VIPs are done. The problem is most shops don't know this and refuse to fill these tanks. So unless you have a shop that agrees to fill the older tanks, it's not worth paying for the hydro/vip. I have a couple in my garage that are waiting for the lamp conversion.

I don't think there is any danger, my tanks also were perfect, like new and passed eddy current but I got tired of the belly aching and b-----g and moaning and attitude from Florida dive shops. I took advantage of one Flordia dive shop that took it back on a deeply discounted brand new Luxfer and the other went away also to my local LDS but I did not get a replacement quite as cheap. Good, new, aluminum 80s sell for under 200 dollars. Get a new one. If the valve is a Dacor with the metal wheel in clean condition I will give you a few bucks for it---for real. N

Stu, I was the original owner of a couple of 1973, ALCAN, aluminum tanks, 6351 alloy. They were always full and passed every test. Recently, I finally got rid of them, psyched out I guess. This issue with some tanks involved the percentage of lead in the alloy. Apparently, there were a couple of "bad" years when lead migration contributed to cracking.

For the hassle factor, premium testing and potential (albeit slight) risk why bother given the cost of a new (or even used) cylinder without the baggage.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom