older tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Pescador,

Yes, mine is an Alcan, Luxfer bought them some time after those tanks were made. The difference between 6351 aluminum and "Luxfer special 6061" is minimal. From what I read, some cylinders, in the 1982 timeframe were made with a bogus alloy that had the lead. I'll keep going for computerized VIP. If after 33 years it is still like new inside, I'd be surprized if something changes.

As for our friend in RI with the 1987 cylinder, perhaps he should call around a find out the attitude toward these in his locale. I called around Orlando, and got the OK. Hydro, VIP and a fill cost $25 around here, and I ended up with a bargain. In another town, it could have been a white elephant.

Happy diving!

I can't remember exactly how many years, but in S. Florida, I had lots of trouble trying to get anyone to VIP my 10 year old tanks (or was it 15 years??). I finally gave up and bought 2 new neutral buoy tanks a little over a year ago. It just wasn't worth the hassle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom