Oly 4/3 best lens for blackwater ....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Dove Lembeh last year and did a couple blackwater dives. Have an old OMD EM-5. Was shooting with the 60mm macro. Had decent lights but focusing was a youknowwhat. Heading to Crystal Blue in Anilao in a few weeks and would like to try again. Stick with the 60? Some other lens? I;m reading maybe the 30mm? Because what would a dive trip be without a flurry of spending nondisposeable income???

Thanks

Dove Lembeh last year and did a couple blackwater dives. Have an old OMD EM-5. Was shooting with the 60mm macro. Had decent lights but focusing was a youknowwhat. Heading to Crystal Blue in Anilao in a few weeks and would like to try again. Stick with the 60? Some other lens? I;m reading maybe the 30mm? Because what would a dive trip be without a flurry of spending nondisposeable income???

Thanks
I also was frustrated by my 60mm. Next trip: 30mm. It focusses much faster. The other thing I might try is setting the 60mm for its shortest range, rather than full range.

I also was frustrated by my 60mm. Next trip: 30mm. It focusses much faster. The other thing I might try is setting the 60mm for its shortest range, rather than full range.
Thanks - at least the 30 is - surprisingly - pretty cheap

Thanks - at least the 30 is - surprisingly - pretty cheap
Then there is the port for it....and he focus gear.....

Then there is the port for it....and he focus gear.....
Does it not fit behind the same flat port for the 60? (may differ on housings i know, but just assuming...)

And is it not auto focus?

I was supposed to be doing a Blackwater dive tomorrow with Pura Vida, in Florida. I’ve been actively talking to the photo pro there that teaches the Blackwater Macro class and she recommends the 30mm macro for the 4/3 system.

Does it not fit behind the same flat port for the 60? (may differ on housings i know, but just assuming...)

And is it not auto focus?
The 60mm port is 65mm; the 30mm port is 45mm. You could probably use it in the longer port, but you would probably vignette and not be able to close-focus.
See the Nauticam port charts. Do you need a link?
For macro, I'm ok with autofocus as the first iteration, but like to tweak that with the focus-peaking mode so I can choose what part of the subject I get in focus.

The 60mm port is 65mm; the 30mm port is 45mm. You could probably use it in the longer port, but you would probably vignette and not be able to close-focus.
See the Nauticam port charts. Do you need a link?
For macro, I'm ok with autofocus as the first iteration, but like to tweak that with the focus-peaking mode so I can choose what part of the subject I get in focus.
Got it. I have the Oly housing. Accdg to backscatter the same flat port can be used for 60 or 30... but of course it's not the flat port I have. So I'll have to research

I recently did several BW dives with the 12-40. Not exactly kosher, and the 30 macro is quite good, but the ability to go wide and the 12-40’s ability to focus almost up to the dome was fun, and I got som images I like.

I don't think two centimeters will make a difference. If you were to use wet diopters - yes, you need the port to fit closely, but this is not the case here. I use the Canon 60mm macro (70mm + adapter) in a port for Sony 90mm (130mm) without any issues.

Ummm, have you dived blackwater? It's not like a regular macro dive; everything is in constant motion, and most subjects are tiny - general rule of thumb is to shoot at smallest reasonable apertures so that you get the subject in focus at all; focusing on specific parts would require superhuman reaction times.

Back
Top Bottom