Oly 4/3 best lens for blackwater ....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't. Almost five pounds!--Are you using it? I'd think that for blackwater, the ultrawide FOV wouldn't be helpful, because even the big things are pretty small, and the small things are tiny. (p.s.--I tried the link to your IG but it wouldn't load)
I don't, but I've seen Alex Tyrrell use a WFL09S with a D850 and Franck Fogarolo use an MWL-1 with a D500, both on a flip mount, every blackwater dive. Alex Mustard also recommends the MWL-1. The idea is, I believe, to have a real wide-angle solution for the chance that something quite big shows up, like a female blanket octopus - those grow up to a couple meters in length.

Re: IG link - weird, I just tried it and it works for me, both on desktop and on mobile.

Same as other dives--Zen 170/ii dome. That lens has impressed me so many times I pretty much take if for granted, and I was pleased to see how well it did for blackwater. It will focus pretty much right to the glass, the images can withstand considerable cropping if needed, and the zoom is a major benefit (e.g., the diagonal image was at 21mm, and the flounder was at 40mm). We're booked for Lembeh in early May, and I plan to alternate between the 12-40 and the 30 for the blackwater.
Lovely images! I confirm you are referring to the 12-40mm f2.8 pro lens?

The 60 can be slower to focus than the 30, but recently brought my Old Em-5 in OLY housing to Bali where it will be staying for a young dive instructor that wants to develop their UW photography skills and can't afford a system. Leaving them (long term loan..unless it floods then it's a gift..let's be honest). So.. last night there before handing it off was off the beach and played a few minutes with a squid in the midwater. I haven't edited all my images from the dive (had 20hrs of travel in between shooting this 2 nights ago and now). But this one I played with a bit. It isn't perfect, but the decade plus old Em-5 and 60mm can still deliver pleasing images.

squid2.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom