Oly Wrist Lanyard Mounting Modification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ArizSig

Reaction score
I recently got a 5060 with the PT-020 housing. I'm very happy with this setup, except for the wrist lanyard. The Oly housings have the lanyard attached on the right side.

I don't like having a large bulky object (like a camera) tethered to my right hand. As a right handed person, I use it to perform all manner of routine functions that are easier without a camera attached.

My solution was to attach the lanyard to the bottom of the housing, under the lead weight. If you take the weight off there is a stainless steel plate held on with 4 small screws. Take the 4 screws out (be careful not to lose them) and you will find the plastic molding has a large center post you can loop the lanyard around, then feed the lanyard out one of the 4 slots already in the square shaped, raised plastic. When you put the plate back on the lanyard is trapped and won't come out. Be careful not to strip the screws when you put them back in.

When mounted to the bottom like this the lanyard is long enough to comfortably use on your left hand. Much better in my opinion.

I don't like a wrist lanyard on either hand. I prefer a coiled lanyard attached to the strobe tray if I'm using a strobe or around the post under the weight if I'm not using the strobe. The other end is clipped off to my BP/W. This way if for some reason I need both hands in a hurry, I can just drop the camera and know it will be at the end of the coil! in any other case, I'm always holding my rig, it never dangles from either wrist.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom