Olympus 60mm macro lens is out!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Both are great lenses. In many ways it is like the Nikon DSLR issue of the 60mm vs. the 105mm. The 60mm is going to give you more working distance and super macro when combined with diopters. The 45mm might be better for those shooting in less than gin clear water looking for something that can also do fish portraits.

The Olympus 60mm and Panasonic Leica 45mm macro lenses are compared directly in a shootout.

Macro shootout on Micro Four Thirds: four lenses, one winner

I think this is a good comparison in terms of the m4/3rds lenses, but not of the Nikon 60AFS on an adapter. The adapter is creating a bunch of chroma aberration, sharpness and other issues. And he doesn't really address AF speed, etc. between the lenses. I suspect dpReview or someone will do something more definitive.

One comment is that with all these macro lenses, and m4/3rds cameras in general, is that you have to have a good, strong focus light. Their contrast AF, even though vastly improved, isn't that great without, well, contrast.

Jack

Has anyone confirmed whether this will fit an EPL2 in the EP03 housing?

Kelli got some nice underwater photo with the Olympus 60mm macro lens this past weekend, and also did some wet lens tests, posted in our 60mm lens review. We still have a few in stock. The lens works great in the standard flat port on the Olympus housings, I personally don't see the need for another port for the Olympus housings. Tridacna, the answer is yes. Hope this helpsl - Scott

60-CU-fish.jpg

Question to bluewater.
you say it works well in the standard olympus port.
Does that mean it will work in any of the olympus pen housings to date? I specifically have an epl2 and am curious about that.
I'm not sure if the olympus port has stayed the same from the epl1/2/3/5 epm1.

can you advise if for the Nauticam NA-EM5 the Nauticam 4” Wide Angle Port (nau.36137) I use with the 9-18mm will work with the 60mm macro? I currently use the 45mm F1.8 as a all purpose portrait and "macro lens" but would be cool to have more closeup, but I don't want to carry another port.

Chris196 - it does work in the E-Pl1,pl2,pl3 housings. Scubanomad, it does work in the wide angle port 36317. I'll continue to update the review with further port tests. - Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom